Jun 28, 2012, 4:29 PM EDT
Next year is shaping up to be a “prove it” season for Tuukka Rask.
Rask is a solid netminder and one of the better young goalies in the league, but his ability to handle a full workload is in question. Whereas Thomas could be banked on for 55-60 starts per year, Rask has never appeared in more than 45 games in a single season.
Add in Rask’s injury woes and RFA status (he’ll be restricted again after this deal expires), and it’s easy to see why Boston took the cautious approach.
The big question now is what’s next for Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli.
The club has over $9 million locked into goaltending and is perilously close to the $70.2 million cap ceiling. Moving Thomas’ contract seems necessary at this point, and Chiarelli could be aided on that front.
As the Sporting News’ Jesse Spector points out, seven teams finished last year under the $54.2 million cap floor: Nashville, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Carolina, Dallas, Colorado and the New York Islanders.
Will any of them pick up Thomas’ contract, potentially freeing up Boston to add a piece via trade or free agency?
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)