Jun 28, 2012, 9:44 AM EDT
It looks like P. A. Parenteau will test the free agent waters. There are some that will question the late bloomer’s ability to succeed without Islanders superstar John Tavares, but that shouldn’t prevent him from finding a home — especially in the thin 2012 market.
One potential suitor is Ottawa, according to the Ottawa Citizen. The Senators are believed to be in the market for a forward with first-line potential, given that Daniel Alfredsson might retire this summer. They’ve already gone after Rick Nash, but it looks like Nash might not want to play in Ottawa.
Although the Senators are a franchise heading in the right direction, they aren’t exactly a big market and they haven’t gotten past the first round of the playoffs since 2007. Even if they had the money to throw at a guy like Zach Parise, would he have much interest in playing for Ottawa at this time?
Parenteau seems like a more realistic target for the Senators at this time and he’s one that could serve them well.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)