Jun 28, 2012, 9:44 AM EDT
It looks like P. A. Parenteau will test the free agent waters. There are some that will question the late bloomer’s ability to succeed without Islanders superstar John Tavares, but that shouldn’t prevent him from finding a home — especially in the thin 2012 market.
One potential suitor is Ottawa, according to the Ottawa Citizen. The Senators are believed to be in the market for a forward with first-line potential, given that Daniel Alfredsson might retire this summer. They’ve already gone after Rick Nash, but it looks like Nash might not want to play in Ottawa.
Although the Senators are a franchise heading in the right direction, they aren’t exactly a big market and they haven’t gotten past the first round of the playoffs since 2007. Even if they had the money to throw at a guy like Zach Parise, would he have much interest in playing for Ottawa at this time?
Parenteau seems like a more realistic target for the Senators at this time and he’s one that could serve them well.
- Video: Drouin scores first NHL goal, shows early chemistry with Stamkos 1
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 11
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 17
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)