Jun 28, 2012, 9:44 AM EDT
It looks like P. A. Parenteau will test the free agent waters. There are some that will question the late bloomer’s ability to succeed without Islanders superstar John Tavares, but that shouldn’t prevent him from finding a home — especially in the thin 2012 market.
One potential suitor is Ottawa, according to the Ottawa Citizen. The Senators are believed to be in the market for a forward with first-line potential, given that Daniel Alfredsson might retire this summer. They’ve already gone after Rick Nash, but it looks like Nash might not want to play in Ottawa.
Although the Senators are a franchise heading in the right direction, they aren’t exactly a big market and they haven’t gotten past the first round of the playoffs since 2007. Even if they had the money to throw at a guy like Zach Parise, would he have much interest in playing for Ottawa at this time?
Parenteau seems like a more realistic target for the Senators at this time and he’s one that could serve them well.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)