Jun 28, 2012, 10:08 AM EDT
As we previously reportedly, the Edmonton Oilers selected Ralph Krueger to serve as their new head coach. He’s been with the team as an associate coach for the last two seasons, so as you might imagine, the reaction among the players has been very positive.
The Edmonton Oilers are a young team trying to transition from their rebuilding phase to a more competitive stage. Doing that while accepting a new head coach can be difficult, but given the players’ familiarity with Krueger, the transition shouldn’t be difficult.
“He’s an extremely intelligent guy who brings an element of toughness and accountability that we’re going to need,” Oilers captain Shawn Horcoff told the Edmonton Journal. “We’re looking forward to having him be the guy. I know the (defensive players) had a real good relationship with him and felt really strongly about his ability to run things back there.
“It’s just nice going into training camp, whenever that starts, whenever that is, knowing that we have that familiarity with each other.”
Jordan Eberle added that Krueger can be credited with improving the Oilers’ work with the man advantage. Edmonton ranked third in the NHL with a 20.6% power-play conversion rate in 2011-12. That’s one of the arguments Eberle and Horcoff used to suggest that Krueger wouldn’t adopt an overly defensive style.
“You have to play defense in this league, but having said that we do have a lot of skill up front and I’m positive he’ll allow that skill to be creative,” said Horcoff.
“I think he felt, at times, a defensive style was the key for winning. It doesn’t mean he didn’t have a lot of offensive interest. You can tell by our power play he’s a very creative guy.”
With 2012 first-overall pick Nail Yakupov joining their young core, the Edmonton Oilers could have an intimidating offense in 2012-13.
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 19
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 62
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 44
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 56
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Live Extra: Watch live coverage of Penguins-Senators
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles