Jun 28, 2012, 1:02 PM EDT
An Arizona judge has ruled against the Goldwater Institute in its attempt to invalidate a 20-year, $324 million lease deal between the City of Glendale and the prospective owner of the Phoenix Coyotes, Greg Jamison.
You can read the ruling here. (Enjoy!)
The court’s decision is a victory for Jamison, though hurdles remain. If enough signatures are collected by opponents, the lease will go to a November referendum. (The deadline for signatures is July 8.)
Of course, even if it does go to a referendum, Jamison could still close on the purchase from the NHL before the fall. At worst (or maybe even best), lease opponents win the November vote and he’s got a mobile franchise that’s worth more in other markets than Glendale. A quick flip to an owner in Quebec City and he books a nice profit.
But that’s getting ahead of ourselves, as there’s no guarantee we’ve heard the last of the Goldwater Institute — the taxpayer watchdog group could still sue Glendale for providing Jamison with an illegal subsidy.
Update: Goldwater president Darcy Olsen: “If the arena management deal goes into effect, we will examine its terms and determine whether it violates the subsidy ban in Arizona’s constitution.”
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 1
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 49
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 2
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 7
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 61
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 36
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 (61)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)