Jun 28, 2012, 1:02 PM EDT
An Arizona judge has ruled against the Goldwater Institute in its attempt to invalidate a 20-year, $324 million lease deal between the City of Glendale and the prospective owner of the Phoenix Coyotes, Greg Jamison.
You can read the ruling here. (Enjoy!)
The court’s decision is a victory for Jamison, though hurdles remain. If enough signatures are collected by opponents, the lease will go to a November referendum. (The deadline for signatures is July 8.)
Of course, even if it does go to a referendum, Jamison could still close on the purchase from the NHL before the fall. At worst (or maybe even best), lease opponents win the November vote and he’s got a mobile franchise that’s worth more in other markets than Glendale. A quick flip to an owner in Quebec City and he books a nice profit.
But that’s getting ahead of ourselves, as there’s no guarantee we’ve heard the last of the Goldwater Institute — the taxpayer watchdog group could still sue Glendale for providing Jamison with an illegal subsidy.
Update: Goldwater president Darcy Olsen: “If the arena management deal goes into effect, we will examine its terms and determine whether it violates the subsidy ban in Arizona’s constitution.”
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)