Jun 28, 2012, 1:02 PM EDT
An Arizona judge has ruled against the Goldwater Institute in its attempt to invalidate a 20-year, $324 million lease deal between the City of Glendale and the prospective owner of the Phoenix Coyotes, Greg Jamison.
You can read the ruling here. (Enjoy!)
The court’s decision is a victory for Jamison, though hurdles remain. If enough signatures are collected by opponents, the lease will go to a November referendum. (The deadline for signatures is July 8.)
Of course, even if it does go to a referendum, Jamison could still close on the purchase from the NHL before the fall. At worst (or maybe even best), lease opponents win the November vote and he’s got a mobile franchise that’s worth more in other markets than Glendale. A quick flip to an owner in Quebec City and he books a nice profit.
But that’s getting ahead of ourselves, as there’s no guarantee we’ve heard the last of the Goldwater Institute — the taxpayer watchdog group could still sue Glendale for providing Jamison with an illegal subsidy.
Update: Goldwater president Darcy Olsen: “If the arena management deal goes into effect, we will examine its terms and determine whether it violates the subsidy ban in Arizona’s constitution.”
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 12
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)