Jun 28, 2012, 3:51 PM EDT
Gill, 37, came to Nashville at February’s deadline for a steep price — Blake Geoffrion, Robert Slaney and a 2012 second round pick — and the Preds retained him after injuries derailed most of his time in the Music City.
(Translation: If you’ve paid for a rental, might as well pay more to actually see what you’ve rented.)
The contract represents a slight pay cut for Gill — down from $2.25 million annually — but he could find himself in a good situation should Ryan Suter fly the coop via free agency.
The Preds currently have four defensemen under contract (Gill, Ryan Ellis, Kevin Klein and Roman Josi) with Gill being the most veteran of the lot. There’s an opportunity for him to get quality playing time and fill a mentorship role, something he had in Montreal with P.K. Subban.
It’ll be interesting to see what effect this deal has on the market come July 1. Gill wasn’t going to be the most sought-after blueliner, but he’s the latest in a run of veteran UFA defensemen signings, joining the likes of Dennis Wideman, Shane O’Brien, Brad Stuart and Barret Jackman.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)