Jun 28, 2012, 3:51 PM EST
Gill, 37, came to Nashville at February’s deadline for a steep price — Blake Geoffrion, Robert Slaney and a 2012 second round pick — and the Preds retained him after injuries derailed most of his time in the Music City.
(Translation: If you’ve paid for a rental, might as well pay more to actually see what you’ve rented.)
The contract represents a slight pay cut for Gill — down from $2.25 million annually — but he could find himself in a good situation should Ryan Suter fly the coop via free agency.
The Preds currently have four defensemen under contract (Gill, Ryan Ellis, Kevin Klein and Roman Josi) with Gill being the most veteran of the lot. There’s an opportunity for him to get quality playing time and fill a mentorship role, something he had in Montreal with P.K. Subban.
It’ll be interesting to see what effect this deal has on the market come July 1. Gill wasn’t going to be the most sought-after blueliner, but he’s the latest in a run of veteran UFA defensemen signings, joining the likes of Dennis Wideman, Shane O’Brien, Brad Stuart and Barret Jackman.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 19
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)