Jun 28, 2012, 3:51 PM EST
Gill, 37, came to Nashville at February’s deadline for a steep price — Blake Geoffrion, Robert Slaney and a 2012 second round pick — and the Preds retained him after injuries derailed most of his time in the Music City.
(Translation: If you’ve paid for a rental, might as well pay more to actually see what you’ve rented.)
The contract represents a slight pay cut for Gill — down from $2.25 million annually — but he could find himself in a good situation should Ryan Suter fly the coop via free agency.
The Preds currently have four defensemen under contract (Gill, Ryan Ellis, Kevin Klein and Roman Josi) with Gill being the most veteran of the lot. There’s an opportunity for him to get quality playing time and fill a mentorship role, something he had in Montreal with P.K. Subban.
It’ll be interesting to see what effect this deal has on the market come July 1. Gill wasn’t going to be the most sought-after blueliner, but he’s the latest in a run of veteran UFA defensemen signings, joining the likes of Dennis Wideman, Shane O’Brien, Brad Stuart and Barret Jackman.
- Is the NHL getting closer to putting a team in Vegas? 7
- Martin Jones gets another shutout, remains undefeated 22
- Video: Tom Wilson gets tossed for charging Brayden Schenn 57
- Video: Kyle Quincey ejected for boarding Ryan Getzlaf 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Third time’s the charm for Flyers vs Capitals? 8
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head 71
- Potter suspended two games for boarding Bonino 3
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension 107
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver 101
- Pittsburgh’s special teams have been pretty good; Florida’s not so much 3
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Bylsma: Neal needs to learn from Marchand hit (114)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)