Jun 28, 2012, 3:10 PM EDT
There’s a new wrinkle in the free agent goalie market.
According to Carolina GM Jim Rutherford, ‘Canes backup Brian Boucher suffered a shoulder injury that will sideline him for 4-6 months, preventing him from being Cam Ward‘s security blanket until at least October, possibly December.
That puts a spotlight on 25-year-old Justin Peters — he of the 28 career NHL appearances — who is an unrestricted free agent on July 1.
Do the ‘Canes scramble to re-sign Peters, or acquire a more veteran presence?
“Obviously this thing with Brian’s injury gives Justin a better chance,” Rutherford explained. “But the fact that we’re this close to July 1, we’re probably going to wait a few days into [the free agency period] to make a decision.”
It’s hard to imagine who else the ‘Canes would land in free agency. They’re basically offering a temp position that will get crowded when Boucher comes back, so it’s shaping up to be a stopgap/filler signing — perhaps a guy that’s on the verge of not being in the league (read: Brent Johnson, Ty Conklin.)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 29
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 34
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 17
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)