Jun 28, 2012, 3:10 PM EST
There’s a new wrinkle in the free agent goalie market.
According to Carolina GM Jim Rutherford, ‘Canes backup Brian Boucher suffered a shoulder injury that will sideline him for 4-6 months, preventing him from being Cam Ward‘s security blanket until at least October, possibly December.
That puts a spotlight on 25-year-old Justin Peters — he of the 28 career NHL appearances — who is an unrestricted free agent on July 1.
Do the ‘Canes scramble to re-sign Peters, or acquire a more veteran presence?
“Obviously this thing with Brian’s injury gives Justin a better chance,” Rutherford explained. “But the fact that we’re this close to July 1, we’re probably going to wait a few days into [the free agency period] to make a decision.”
It’s hard to imagine who else the ‘Canes would land in free agency. They’re basically offering a temp position that will get crowded when Boucher comes back, so it’s shaping up to be a stopgap/filler signing — perhaps a guy that’s on the verge of not being in the league (read: Brent Johnson, Ty Conklin.)
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 0
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 16
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 27
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 63
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)