Jun 27, 2012, 12:47 PM EDT
What you’re about to see is a handshake line between teams comprised of players aged 10-12.
The two teams — UBC Hornets and Richmond Steel (yeah, this is in Vancouver) — played last weekend, with the Hornets winning by a score of 5-4.
That victory didn’t stop Hornets head coach Martin Tremblay from pulling off arguably the cheapest move in the history of handshake lines:
The result? The kid that got tripped suffered a broken wrist and Tremblay was taken into custody by Royal Canadian Mounted Police. He was released without charges, but RCMP Sgt. Paulena Gidda said investigators are still considering charges of assault or assault causing bodily harm.
Tremblay — who is 52 years old, by the way — reportedly claimed he slipped on some water and accidentally tripped the player, a pretty weak excuse given video evidence.
Unsurprisingly, nobody’s buying his excuse, including the Steel team manager, Tammy Hohlweg.
“Actually seeing it is horrifying,” she said after watching the video. “He should not be allowed around kids. No more coaching for this coach.”
“If a coach is like that, the kids will feed off that – the kids will react and do that too.”
(Photo Courtesy CTV)
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)