Jun 27, 2012, 4:34 PM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Ryan Smyth (LW)
2011-12 cap hit: $6.25 million
Smyth is one of this summer’s most intriguing cases. After forcing a deal to Edmonton last summer, he famously stated “I bleed Oiler blue” — suggesting he was primed to finish his career in Oil Country.
Now he’s just days away from hitting the open market.
Compounding the matter is Smyth’s lack of leverage. Everybody knows Edmonton is where he wants to be and he’s on the downside of his career — 46 points in 2011-12 was his lowest total in four years.
Well, it’s actually easy to see the fit. It’s on the third line.
And that brings up the question of money.
What would Edmonton pay a 36-year-old third liner? Many have pointed Milan Hedjuk’s deal with Colorado (one year, $2 million) as a comparable, which would be great for the Oilers but less so for Smyth, given it’s a pay cut of over $4 million.
Of course, Edmonton knows Symth wants to stay.
In the end, stubbornness may prevail. Smyth can probably find suitors — Detroit could use his net-front presence if Tomas Holmstrom retires, Rangers GM Glen Sather has always been a fan — or the Oilers could just walk away and accept the public relations backlash.
More UFA spotlights
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)