Jun 27, 2012, 3:03 PM EDT
With a group of players standing symbolically behind him, NHLPA chief Donald Fehr fielded questions from reporters following three days of union meetings in Chicago.
Granted, Fehr didn’t say much, other than to say he wasn’t willing to say much about the upcoming CBA negotiations with the league. But he did suggest the owners will have a hard time pleading poverty this time around.
Here are the bullets from the press conference:
– Talks with the NHL will start later in the week, followed by more talks next week, after which Fehr expects the two sides to meet on a “regular basis.”
– The first few bargaining sessions could be used for each side to share their concerns in order that each side fully understands its counterpart’s concerns before negotiations start.
– Commenting on all the good news coming out of league offices (increased revenue, TV ratings, etc.), Fehr said the “object is to get a deal done that can continue that momentum.”
– Fehr wouldn’t comment on speculation that the owners will attempt to cut the players’ share of revenues from its current rate of 57 percent, and said he doesn’t know if that will be the case. Sometimes you know the other side’s position heading into negotiations, sometimes you don’t. This time it’s the latter.
– The above in mind, Fehr said it will be pretty clear “early on” where each side stands.
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 0
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 8
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 3
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 36
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 84
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 9
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 23
- Playoffs Tonight: ‘Pesky’ Sens fight to even series vs Pens 18
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (84)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness