Jun 27, 2012, 1:48 PM EST
Looks like throwing his skates in the Hudson River will be Sean Avery’s last hockey-related act.
According to Katie Strang of ESPN, the ex-Rangers forward won’t try to sign with a team come July 1 and still plans on retiring. Avery told Strang he has “no interest” in testing the free agent market which, I would assume, is roughly the same level of interest teams had in Avery.
The 32-year-old torched whatever was left of his relationship with the Rangers via a series of antics in AHL Connecticut. He last played on Jan. 27 and, after being a healthy scratch for 15 straight games, was sent home on Mar. 5.
Avery then appeared on Bravo TV’s Watch What Happens Live and said “I am officially retired — I threw my skates in the Hudson.”
Avery’s agent, Pat Morris, said his client’s comments were “not serious” and he hadn’t given up on his career. Shortly thereafter, it was learned Avery refused to sign retirement papers sent to him by Rangers GM Glen Sather.
But now it appears one of the most controversial figures in league history has called it a day.
If it is indeed the end, Avery will finish with 247 points in 580 career games — with 1533 penalty minutes.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 32
- Mike Richards clears waivers 31
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 14
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 54
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)