Jun 27, 2012, 1:48 PM EDT
Looks like throwing his skates in the Hudson River will be Sean Avery’s last hockey-related act.
According to Katie Strang of ESPN, the ex-Rangers forward won’t try to sign with a team come July 1 and still plans on retiring. Avery told Strang he has “no interest” in testing the free agent market which, I would assume, is roughly the same level of interest teams had in Avery.
The 32-year-old torched whatever was left of his relationship with the Rangers via a series of antics in AHL Connecticut. He last played on Jan. 27 and, after being a healthy scratch for 15 straight games, was sent home on Mar. 5.
Avery then appeared on Bravo TV’s Watch What Happens Live and said “I am officially retired — I threw my skates in the Hudson.”
Avery’s agent, Pat Morris, said his client’s comments were “not serious” and he hadn’t given up on his career. Shortly thereafter, it was learned Avery refused to sign retirement papers sent to him by Rangers GM Glen Sather.
But now it appears one of the most controversial figures in league history has called it a day.
If it is indeed the end, Avery will finish with 247 points in 580 career games — with 1533 penalty minutes.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)