Jun 27, 2012, 10:02 PM EDT
Beyond the ruthless competition in the Western Conference, the Los Angeles Kings’ biggest challenge going forward comes down to signing Conn Smythe-winning goalie Jonathan Quick to a contract extension. (His deal expires after next season.) GM Dean Lombardi said he’s already getting started on that, and while they can’t extend him before July 1, both Rich Hammond and Lisa Dillman provide optimistic reports that something will get done before the 2011-12 season begins.
“Just to piggy-back on earlier item from @reallisa, Kings are talking long-term extension with Quick. Things looking good on that front.”
Depending upon the potential structure of a deal, Quick and the Kings might be wise to sign a long-term deal before a new CBA could possibly foul things up. Considering the kind of money far less accomplished goalies such as Ondrej Pavelec have been able to fetch, it’s reasonable to expect quite the bounty for Quick.
That being said, Quick’s cap hit is a ludicrously low $1.8 million next season (less than the $2 million per year Tomas Vokoun will receive to back up Marc-Andre Fleury in Pittsburgh). If Quick gets a Pekka Rinne-sized deal, it only seems fair in a way, doesn’t it?
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 7
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 10
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 18
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)