Jun 27, 2012, 10:02 PM EDT
Beyond the ruthless competition in the Western Conference, the Los Angeles Kings’ biggest challenge going forward comes down to signing Conn Smythe-winning goalie Jonathan Quick to a contract extension. (His deal expires after next season.) GM Dean Lombardi said he’s already getting started on that, and while they can’t extend him before July 1, both Rich Hammond and Lisa Dillman provide optimistic reports that something will get done before the 2011-12 season begins.
“Just to piggy-back on earlier item from @reallisa, Kings are talking long-term extension with Quick. Things looking good on that front.”
Depending upon the potential structure of a deal, Quick and the Kings might be wise to sign a long-term deal before a new CBA could possibly foul things up. Considering the kind of money far less accomplished goalies such as Ondrej Pavelec have been able to fetch, it’s reasonable to expect quite the bounty for Quick.
That being said, Quick’s cap hit is a ludicrously low $1.8 million next season (less than the $2 million per year Tomas Vokoun will receive to back up Marc-Andre Fleury in Pittsburgh). If Quick gets a Pekka Rinne-sized deal, it only seems fair in a way, doesn’t it?
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)