Jun 27, 2012, 10:02 PM EDT
Beyond the ruthless competition in the Western Conference, the Los Angeles Kings’ biggest challenge going forward comes down to signing Conn Smythe-winning goalie Jonathan Quick to a contract extension. (His deal expires after next season.) GM Dean Lombardi said he’s already getting started on that, and while they can’t extend him before July 1, both Rich Hammond and Lisa Dillman provide optimistic reports that something will get done before the 2011-12 season begins.
“Just to piggy-back on earlier item from @reallisa, Kings are talking long-term extension with Quick. Things looking good on that front.”
Depending upon the potential structure of a deal, Quick and the Kings might be wise to sign a long-term deal before a new CBA could possibly foul things up. Considering the kind of money far less accomplished goalies such as Ondrej Pavelec have been able to fetch, it’s reasonable to expect quite the bounty for Quick.
That being said, Quick’s cap hit is a ludicrously low $1.8 million next season (less than the $2 million per year Tomas Vokoun will receive to back up Marc-Andre Fleury in Pittsburgh). If Quick gets a Pekka Rinne-sized deal, it only seems fair in a way, doesn’t it?
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)