Jun 27, 2012, 10:02 PM EDT
Beyond the ruthless competition in the Western Conference, the Los Angeles Kings’ biggest challenge going forward comes down to signing Conn Smythe-winning goalie Jonathan Quick to a contract extension. (His deal expires after next season.) GM Dean Lombardi said he’s already getting started on that, and while they can’t extend him before July 1, both Rich Hammond and Lisa Dillman provide optimistic reports that something will get done before the 2011-12 season begins.
“Just to piggy-back on earlier item from @reallisa, Kings are talking long-term extension with Quick. Things looking good on that front.”
Depending upon the potential structure of a deal, Quick and the Kings might be wise to sign a long-term deal before a new CBA could possibly foul things up. Considering the kind of money far less accomplished goalies such as Ondrej Pavelec have been able to fetch, it’s reasonable to expect quite the bounty for Quick.
That being said, Quick’s cap hit is a ludicrously low $1.8 million next season (less than the $2 million per year Tomas Vokoun will receive to back up Marc-Andre Fleury in Pittsburgh). If Quick gets a Pekka Rinne-sized deal, it only seems fair in a way, doesn’t it?
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 35
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 11
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 25
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)