Jun 27, 2012, 10:02 PM EDT
Beyond the ruthless competition in the Western Conference, the Los Angeles Kings’ biggest challenge going forward comes down to signing Conn Smythe-winning goalie Jonathan Quick to a contract extension. (His deal expires after next season.) GM Dean Lombardi said he’s already getting started on that, and while they can’t extend him before July 1, both Rich Hammond and Lisa Dillman provide optimistic reports that something will get done before the 2011-12 season begins.
“Just to piggy-back on earlier item from @reallisa, Kings are talking long-term extension with Quick. Things looking good on that front.”
Depending upon the potential structure of a deal, Quick and the Kings might be wise to sign a long-term deal before a new CBA could possibly foul things up. Considering the kind of money far less accomplished goalies such as Ondrej Pavelec have been able to fetch, it’s reasonable to expect quite the bounty for Quick.
That being said, Quick’s cap hit is a ludicrously low $1.8 million next season (less than the $2 million per year Tomas Vokoun will receive to back up Marc-Andre Fleury in Pittsburgh). If Quick gets a Pekka Rinne-sized deal, it only seems fair in a way, doesn’t it?
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 6
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)