Jun 27, 2012, 6:30 PM EDT
A lot has changed for the Washington Capitals in the last few days, but the biggest alterations sent mixed signals about Alexander Semin‘s future with the team. Bringing in a former offensive great in Adam Oates as the new coach and adding Mike Ribeiro‘s splendid passing skills gave some late reason for hope. Yet seeing Dennis Wideman scuttled off dampens that hope and Darren Dreger reports that Semin’s days are still almost certainly numbered.
“Far from news-breaking, but good possibility the Capitals trade Alex Semin‘s rights.”
On one hand, that seems like a foregone conclusion. Yet now that the Capitals finally have their long-sought-after second center in Ribeiro, I must admit a slight touch of sadness. It would have been intriguing to watch the Capitals roll with two duos (Alex Ovechkin-Nicklas Backstrom, Ribeiro-Semin) that could evoke Miracle’s “pass, shoot, score” mantra like few in the NHL.
Still, it seems pretty obvious that the Caps lost their patience with a winger who typified the “mercurial” and “enigmatic” labels often attached to Russian scorers.
Whether it’s by trade or free agency, Washington can replace some of the “oomph” lost by jettisoning Semin, although some of us will wonder what could have been.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)