Jun 27, 2012, 10:31 PM EDT
Aside from having lengthy and impressive hockey careers, it’s not often that New Jersey Devils forward Patrik Elias and Philadelphia Flyers defenseman Chris Pronger are linked. Following the Los Angeles Kings’ first-ever Stanley Cup win, that was exactly what happened, as observers wondered if Elias pulled some Pronger-esque puck burglary. Elias denied those insidious allegations to Rich Chere, however.
“I don’t have it. I have no idea where it is,” Elias told me today. “I grabbed it when the whistle blew. I had it in front of me and I picked it up with my stick. I went over to Marty (Brodeur) and then I sat on the bench and I think I left it there.”
“I understand it’s a meaningful thing for them. For me? No. Why would I want to keep a losing Stanley Cup puck?”
Chere asked two key questions: 1) did Elias (or someone else) throw the puck into the crowd and 2) did he hand the puck to Martin Brodeur, knowing that could have been his last game? Elias denied both claims.
“This is a big deal,” Robitaille said. “We’ve got to get that puck back.”
“If a Devil had it, he might not have been real happy with it, he might have thrown it in the stands. If one of our fans has it, we will make a deal with them to get it back. We need that puck.”
Robitaille didn’t say, “So, cough it up Elias or Brodeur” but it would’ve been fantastic if he did. Oh well. At least the Kings still have that big, shiny, silver thing to remind them of their accomplishments, right?
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)