Jun 27, 2012, 10:31 PM EDT
Aside from having lengthy and impressive hockey careers, it’s not often that New Jersey Devils forward Patrik Elias and Philadelphia Flyers defenseman Chris Pronger are linked. Following the Los Angeles Kings’ first-ever Stanley Cup win, that was exactly what happened, as observers wondered if Elias pulled some Pronger-esque puck burglary. Elias denied those insidious allegations to Rich Chere, however.
“I don’t have it. I have no idea where it is,” Elias told me today. “I grabbed it when the whistle blew. I had it in front of me and I picked it up with my stick. I went over to Marty (Brodeur) and then I sat on the bench and I think I left it there.”
“I understand it’s a meaningful thing for them. For me? No. Why would I want to keep a losing Stanley Cup puck?”
Chere asked two key questions: 1) did Elias (or someone else) throw the puck into the crowd and 2) did he hand the puck to Martin Brodeur, knowing that could have been his last game? Elias denied both claims.
“This is a big deal,” Robitaille said. “We’ve got to get that puck back.”
“If a Devil had it, he might not have been real happy with it, he might have thrown it in the stands. If one of our fans has it, we will make a deal with them to get it back. We need that puck.”
Robitaille didn’t say, “So, cough it up Elias or Brodeur” but it would’ve been fantastic if he did. Oh well. At least the Kings still have that big, shiny, silver thing to remind them of their accomplishments, right?
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 9
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 15
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 31
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 44
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 28
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 45
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)