Jun 27, 2012, 10:31 PM EDT
Aside from having lengthy and impressive hockey careers, it’s not often that New Jersey Devils forward Patrik Elias and Philadelphia Flyers defenseman Chris Pronger are linked. Following the Los Angeles Kings’ first-ever Stanley Cup win, that was exactly what happened, as observers wondered if Elias pulled some Pronger-esque puck burglary. Elias denied those insidious allegations to Rich Chere, however.
“I don’t have it. I have no idea where it is,” Elias told me today. “I grabbed it when the whistle blew. I had it in front of me and I picked it up with my stick. I went over to Marty (Brodeur) and then I sat on the bench and I think I left it there.”
“I understand it’s a meaningful thing for them. For me? No. Why would I want to keep a losing Stanley Cup puck?”
Chere asked two key questions: 1) did Elias (or someone else) throw the puck into the crowd and 2) did he hand the puck to Martin Brodeur, knowing that could have been his last game? Elias denied both claims.
“This is a big deal,” Robitaille said. “We’ve got to get that puck back.”
“If a Devil had it, he might not have been real happy with it, he might have thrown it in the stands. If one of our fans has it, we will make a deal with them to get it back. We need that puck.”
Robitaille didn’t say, “So, cough it up Elias or Brodeur” but it would’ve been fantastic if he did. Oh well. At least the Kings still have that big, shiny, silver thing to remind them of their accomplishments, right?
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)