Jun 27, 2012, 10:31 PM EST
Aside from having lengthy and impressive hockey careers, it’s not often that New Jersey Devils forward Patrik Elias and Philadelphia Flyers defenseman Chris Pronger are linked. Following the Los Angeles Kings’ first-ever Stanley Cup win, that was exactly what happened, as observers wondered if Elias pulled some Pronger-esque puck burglary. Elias denied those insidious allegations to Rich Chere, however.
“I don’t have it. I have no idea where it is,” Elias told me today. “I grabbed it when the whistle blew. I had it in front of me and I picked it up with my stick. I went over to Marty (Brodeur) and then I sat on the bench and I think I left it there.”
“I understand it’s a meaningful thing for them. For me? No. Why would I want to keep a losing Stanley Cup puck?”
Chere asked two key questions: 1) did Elias (or someone else) throw the puck into the crowd and 2) did he hand the puck to Martin Brodeur, knowing that could have been his last game? Elias denied both claims.
“This is a big deal,” Robitaille said. “We’ve got to get that puck back.”
“If a Devil had it, he might not have been real happy with it, he might have thrown it in the stands. If one of our fans has it, we will make a deal with them to get it back. We need that puck.”
Robitaille didn’t say, “So, cough it up Elias or Brodeur” but it would’ve been fantastic if he did. Oh well. At least the Kings still have that big, shiny, silver thing to remind them of their accomplishments, right?
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 37
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 10
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 14
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 33
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 35
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 56
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (57)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (41)