Jun 27, 2012, 10:31 PM EDT
Aside from having lengthy and impressive hockey careers, it’s not often that New Jersey Devils forward Patrik Elias and Philadelphia Flyers defenseman Chris Pronger are linked. Following the Los Angeles Kings’ first-ever Stanley Cup win, that was exactly what happened, as observers wondered if Elias pulled some Pronger-esque puck burglary. Elias denied those insidious allegations to Rich Chere, however.
“I don’t have it. I have no idea where it is,” Elias told me today. “I grabbed it when the whistle blew. I had it in front of me and I picked it up with my stick. I went over to Marty (Brodeur) and then I sat on the bench and I think I left it there.”
“I understand it’s a meaningful thing for them. For me? No. Why would I want to keep a losing Stanley Cup puck?”
Chere asked two key questions: 1) did Elias (or someone else) throw the puck into the crowd and 2) did he hand the puck to Martin Brodeur, knowing that could have been his last game? Elias denied both claims.
“This is a big deal,” Robitaille said. “We’ve got to get that puck back.”
“If a Devil had it, he might not have been real happy with it, he might have thrown it in the stands. If one of our fans has it, we will make a deal with them to get it back. We need that puck.”
Robitaille didn’t say, “So, cough it up Elias or Brodeur” but it would’ve been fantastic if he did. Oh well. At least the Kings still have that big, shiny, silver thing to remind them of their accomplishments, right?
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 0
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 20
- Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 22
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 3
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 1
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)