Jun 27, 2012, 7:26 PM EST
The NHL’s Collective Bargaining Agreement expires at an awkward time. While other leagues were forced to hash out a new CBA before free agency began, the NHL’s July 1 frenzy begins far before the Sept. 15 expiration date. This could all be very messy depending upon the ceiling dictated by the next CBA, but for now, Kevin McGran reports that the league and players agreed upon a $70.2 million ceiling.
In the short term, that’s delightful news for the “rich” teams such as the Pittsburgh Penguins and Chicago Blackhawks but confusing info for franchises who struggle to even reach the salary cap floor. Does that mean that those teams will need to spend $55.2 million or so just in case, or will they bank on a new CBA to save the day?
The poor team side is a bummer and there could be some perplexing issues if the ceiling drops,* but let’s focus on the positive. In the short-term, bigger budget GMs can go all-out for Zach Parise, Ryan Suter and the scant amount of other high-end free agents.
Think of it as a wild outdoor musical festival of hockey spending (and try not to think about the tears that might come from cleaning it all up).
* – At least the NHL is unlikely to rain bizarre fire and brimstone down on big-spending teams like the NFL did with the Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins. Hopefully.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)