Jun 27, 2012, 7:26 PM EDT
The NHL’s Collective Bargaining Agreement expires at an awkward time. While other leagues were forced to hash out a new CBA before free agency began, the NHL’s July 1 frenzy begins far before the Sept. 15 expiration date. This could all be very messy depending upon the ceiling dictated by the next CBA, but for now, Kevin McGran reports that the league and players agreed upon a $70.2 million ceiling.
In the short term, that’s delightful news for the “rich” teams such as the Pittsburgh Penguins and Chicago Blackhawks but confusing info for franchises who struggle to even reach the salary cap floor. Does that mean that those teams will need to spend $55.2 million or so just in case, or will they bank on a new CBA to save the day?
The poor team side is a bummer and there could be some perplexing issues if the ceiling drops,* but let’s focus on the positive. In the short-term, bigger budget GMs can go all-out for Zach Parise, Ryan Suter and the scant amount of other high-end free agents.
Think of it as a wild outdoor musical festival of hockey spending (and try not to think about the tears that might come from cleaning it all up).
* – At least the NHL is unlikely to rain bizarre fire and brimstone down on big-spending teams like the NFL did with the Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins. Hopefully.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 115
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (115)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)