Jun 27, 2012, 7:26 PM EDT
The NHL’s Collective Bargaining Agreement expires at an awkward time. While other leagues were forced to hash out a new CBA before free agency began, the NHL’s July 1 frenzy begins far before the Sept. 15 expiration date. This could all be very messy depending upon the ceiling dictated by the next CBA, but for now, Kevin McGran reports that the league and players agreed upon a $70.2 million ceiling.
In the short term, that’s delightful news for the “rich” teams such as the Pittsburgh Penguins and Chicago Blackhawks but confusing info for franchises who struggle to even reach the salary cap floor. Does that mean that those teams will need to spend $55.2 million or so just in case, or will they bank on a new CBA to save the day?
The poor team side is a bummer and there could be some perplexing issues if the ceiling drops,* but let’s focus on the positive. In the short-term, bigger budget GMs can go all-out for Zach Parise, Ryan Suter and the scant amount of other high-end free agents.
Think of it as a wild outdoor musical festival of hockey spending (and try not to think about the tears that might come from cleaning it all up).
* – At least the NHL is unlikely to rain bizarre fire and brimstone down on big-spending teams like the NFL did with the Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins. Hopefully.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)