Jun 27, 2012, 5:13 PM EDT
Two weeks ago, David Quinn was promoted from the Avalanche’s AHL affiliate in Lake Erie to Joe Sacco’s assistant in Colorado.
Today, the Avs named Quinn’s replacement in Lake Erie — Dean Chynoweth.
Chynoweth, 43, will become the third coach in franchise history after a lengthy career in the Western Hockey League and three years as an assistant on Long Island, where he served under both Scott Gordon and Jack Capuano.
“Dean has an extensive coaching background at all levels,” said Avalanche Vice President of Player Development Craig Billington. “He brings a wealth of knowledge and we are confident he will be a great asset for our players. We are proud to have Dean join the Avalanche organization.”
A former first-round pick of the Islanders in 1987, Chynoweth played 241 NHL games before moving into coaching.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 60
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 35
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 31
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 19
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 53
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 29
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)