Jun 27, 2012, 5:13 PM EDT
Two weeks ago, David Quinn was promoted from the Avalanche’s AHL affiliate in Lake Erie to Joe Sacco’s assistant in Colorado.
Today, the Avs named Quinn’s replacement in Lake Erie — Dean Chynoweth.
Chynoweth, 43, will become the third coach in franchise history after a lengthy career in the Western Hockey League and three years as an assistant on Long Island, where he served under both Scott Gordon and Jack Capuano.
“Dean has an extensive coaching background at all levels,” said Avalanche Vice President of Player Development Craig Billington. “He brings a wealth of knowledge and we are confident he will be a great asset for our players. We are proud to have Dean join the Avalanche organization.”
A former first-round pick of the Islanders in 1987, Chynoweth played 241 NHL games before moving into coaching.
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 2
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 7
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 31
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 41
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 35
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 25