Jun 27, 2012, 3:35 PM EDT
Calgary plucked Comeau, 26, off waivers in November after a curious decision by Islanders GM Garth Snow. Despite scoring 41 goals from 2009-11, Comeau’s dreadful start to the season — zero points in 16 games — saw him fall completely out of favor and into a Flames uniform.
In Calgary, Comeau was better (in that he scored a point) but hardly impressive, scoring just 5G-10A-15PTS in 58 games. That led to the Flames opting not to qualify him as a RFA — a move that would’ve cost $2.5 million — but instead bring him back as a UFA at a discounted price.
“We’re not looking at Blake and saying, ‘you need to be a 20-goal guy for us,’” Flames GM Jay Feaster told the Calgary Herlad prior to signing Comeau. “We like other things about his game. He skates very, very well. He’s fast. He gets in on the forecheck.
“Blake is very responsible defensively. He can kill bodies. He’s a big body. He’s a guy who can finish his checks. When he rubs you out, you stay rubbed out.”
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)