Jun 27, 2012, 3:35 PM EST
Calgary plucked Comeau, 26, off waivers in November after a curious decision by Islanders GM Garth Snow. Despite scoring 41 goals from 2009-11, Comeau’s dreadful start to the season — zero points in 16 games — saw him fall completely out of favor and into a Flames uniform.
In Calgary, Comeau was better (in that he scored a point) but hardly impressive, scoring just 5G-10A-15PTS in 58 games. That led to the Flames opting not to qualify him as a RFA — a move that would’ve cost $2.5 million — but instead bring him back as a UFA at a discounted price.
“We’re not looking at Blake and saying, ‘you need to be a 20-goal guy for us,’” Flames GM Jay Feaster told the Calgary Herlad prior to signing Comeau. “We like other things about his game. He skates very, very well. He’s fast. He gets in on the forecheck.
“Blake is very responsible defensively. He can kill bodies. He’s a big body. He’s a guy who can finish his checks. When he rubs you out, you stay rubbed out.”
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 36
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 39
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 8
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)