Jun 27, 2012, 3:35 PM EST
Calgary plucked Comeau, 26, off waivers in November after a curious decision by Islanders GM Garth Snow. Despite scoring 41 goals from 2009-11, Comeau’s dreadful start to the season — zero points in 16 games — saw him fall completely out of favor and into a Flames uniform.
In Calgary, Comeau was better (in that he scored a point) but hardly impressive, scoring just 5G-10A-15PTS in 58 games. That led to the Flames opting not to qualify him as a RFA — a move that would’ve cost $2.5 million — but instead bring him back as a UFA at a discounted price.
“We’re not looking at Blake and saying, ‘you need to be a 20-goal guy for us,’” Flames GM Jay Feaster told the Calgary Herlad prior to signing Comeau. “We like other things about his game. He skates very, very well. He’s fast. He gets in on the forecheck.
“Blake is very responsible defensively. He can kill bodies. He’s a big body. He’s a guy who can finish his checks. When he rubs you out, you stay rubbed out.”
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 62
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 7
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 133
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (133)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (112)