Jun 27, 2012, 3:35 PM EDT
Calgary plucked Comeau, 26, off waivers in November after a curious decision by Islanders GM Garth Snow. Despite scoring 41 goals from 2009-11, Comeau’s dreadful start to the season — zero points in 16 games — saw him fall completely out of favor and into a Flames uniform.
In Calgary, Comeau was better (in that he scored a point) but hardly impressive, scoring just 5G-10A-15PTS in 58 games. That led to the Flames opting not to qualify him as a RFA — a move that would’ve cost $2.5 million — but instead bring him back as a UFA at a discounted price.
“We’re not looking at Blake and saying, ‘you need to be a 20-goal guy for us,’” Flames GM Jay Feaster told the Calgary Herlad prior to signing Comeau. “We like other things about his game. He skates very, very well. He’s fast. He gets in on the forecheck.
“Blake is very responsible defensively. He can kill bodies. He’s a big body. He’s a guy who can finish his checks. When he rubs you out, you stay rubbed out.”
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 2) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 27
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; Blues tie it up in waning moments 91
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 45
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 74
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 115
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 63