Jun 27, 2012, 3:35 PM EDT
Calgary plucked Comeau, 26, off waivers in November after a curious decision by Islanders GM Garth Snow. Despite scoring 41 goals from 2009-11, Comeau’s dreadful start to the season — zero points in 16 games — saw him fall completely out of favor and into a Flames uniform.
In Calgary, Comeau was better (in that he scored a point) but hardly impressive, scoring just 5G-10A-15PTS in 58 games. That led to the Flames opting not to qualify him as a RFA — a move that would’ve cost $2.5 million — but instead bring him back as a UFA at a discounted price.
“We’re not looking at Blake and saying, ‘you need to be a 20-goal guy for us,’” Flames GM Jay Feaster told the Calgary Herlad prior to signing Comeau. “We like other things about his game. He skates very, very well. He’s fast. He gets in on the forecheck.
“Blake is very responsible defensively. He can kill bodies. He’s a big body. He’s a guy who can finish his checks. When he rubs you out, you stay rubbed out.”
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 68
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 32
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 22
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)