Jun 27, 2012, 9:23 PM EDT
Last summer, Cory Schneider and Tuukka Rask shared a bond as two rising goaltenders watching two already-established stars battle it out for the Vancouver Canucks and Boston Bruins in the 2011 Stanley Cup finals. Much has changed since then, as each netminder seems likely to take the mantle with their respective teams. Still, Schneider might want to watch Rask closely because the Bruins backup-turned-No. 1’s deal could heavily influence Schneider’s own market value.
Perhaps Schneider is cognizant of that fact – or several other factors, such as the potential threat of offer sheets from other teams – as he told Ben Kuzma that he’s in no rush to sign a new contract.
“It [contract] is not going to get done the first time you talk or in a day or night,” Schneider said. “We’re going to take our time.”
Few restricted free agents hold the power that Schneider (and Rask, really) does right now. The Canucks face a tough challenge both in trading Roberto Luongo and signing Schneider to a deal that’s adheres realistically to his impressive – but relatively small – body of work instead of allowing it to swell to the increasingly glowing perception he’s garnered.
It’s anyone’s guess how much Schneider can make because – like the Bruins – the Canucks are really stuck in a tough spot. Keeping the staring contest going through July 1 will only increase his chances of making a ton of cash.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 15
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 20
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 65
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 26
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)