Jun 27, 2012, 1:22 PM EDT
The NHL’s reigning coach of the year will be with the Blues for at least the next two seasons.
That’s the word out of St. Louis as Jeremy Rutherford of the Post-Dispatch reports the Blues have signed Ken Hitchcock to a one-year extension — meaning he’s under contract through the 2013-14 season.
The contract also includes a “mutual” option for the 2014-15 campaign.
“This is it for me. This is my last stop,” Hitchcock said. “I want this to be a successful franchise for the next 10-15 years, and I want to be part of it, even if I’m not coaching.”
Hitchcock won the Jack Adams over John Tortorella and Paul MacLean by going 43-15-11 after taking over from Davis Payne in November. It’s not surprising the Blues wanted to lock him up after such a performance, but…
It is interesting to see St. Louis retained Hitch through year three — holding out on the option for four — because if Hitchcock’s last two stops in Philadelphia and Columbus are any indication, his expiry date usually coincides with his fourth year on the job.
The Flyers fired him eight games into his fourth season on the job. The Blue Jackets fired him 58 games into year four.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)