Jun 27, 2012, 1:22 PM EDT
The NHL’s reigning coach of the year will be with the Blues for at least the next two seasons.
That’s the word out of St. Louis as Jeremy Rutherford of the Post-Dispatch reports the Blues have signed Ken Hitchcock to a one-year extension — meaning he’s under contract through the 2013-14 season.
The contract also includes a “mutual” option for the 2014-15 campaign.
“This is it for me. This is my last stop,” Hitchcock said. “I want this to be a successful franchise for the next 10-15 years, and I want to be part of it, even if I’m not coaching.”
Hitchcock won the Jack Adams over John Tortorella and Paul MacLean by going 43-15-11 after taking over from Davis Payne in November. It’s not surprising the Blues wanted to lock him up after such a performance, but…
It is interesting to see St. Louis retained Hitch through year three — holding out on the option for four — because if Hitchcock’s last two stops in Philadelphia and Columbus are any indication, his expiry date usually coincides with his fourth year on the job.
The Flyers fired him eight games into his fourth season on the job. The Blue Jackets fired him 58 games into year four.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)