Jun 27, 2012, 1:22 PM EDT
The NHL’s reigning coach of the year will be with the Blues for at least the next two seasons.
That’s the word out of St. Louis as Jeremy Rutherford of the Post-Dispatch reports the Blues have signed Ken Hitchcock to a one-year extension — meaning he’s under contract through the 2013-14 season.
The contract also includes a “mutual” option for the 2014-15 campaign.
“This is it for me. This is my last stop,” Hitchcock said. “I want this to be a successful franchise for the next 10-15 years, and I want to be part of it, even if I’m not coaching.”
Hitchcock won the Jack Adams over John Tortorella and Paul MacLean by going 43-15-11 after taking over from Davis Payne in November. It’s not surprising the Blues wanted to lock him up after such a performance, but…
It is interesting to see St. Louis retained Hitch through year three — holding out on the option for four — because if Hitchcock’s last two stops in Philadelphia and Columbus are any indication, his expiry date usually coincides with his fourth year on the job.
The Flyers fired him eight games into his fourth season on the job. The Blue Jackets fired him 58 games into year four.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)