Jun 27, 2012, 10:11 AM EDT
What were you doing when you were 21-years-old? Most answers probably have something to do with a bar and shotgunning beers. For Islanders star John Tavares, he’s trying to help the players find labor peace with the owners.
Michael Grange of Sportsnet hears from Tavares about the role he’s trying to play in helping put together a new Collective Bargaining Agreement.
“I’m one of the young guys but I’m trying to be one of the leaders and play a big role and be someone that guys can look up to and ask questions,” he said after participating in nine hours of meetings at a Chicago hotel Tuesday, going over everything from the association’s internal finances to negotiating strategies they plan to take to the NHL. “With (the Islanders) we have a pretty young team so it’s important for us to be involved and aware of what’s happening.”
Are we sure he’s 21? That’s spoken like a guy wise beyond his years.
Tavares says he wants to play a role in things because he remembers being a bummed out kid in 2004-05 when the NHL locked out the players, killing a season in the process. Making sure to not be part of something like that is pretty good motivation to get it right. Then again, things are different when you’re on the other side of the fence.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)