Jun 27, 2012, 10:11 AM EST
What were you doing when you were 21-years-old? Most answers probably have something to do with a bar and shotgunning beers. For Islanders star John Tavares, he’s trying to help the players find labor peace with the owners.
Michael Grange of Sportsnet hears from Tavares about the role he’s trying to play in helping put together a new Collective Bargaining Agreement.
“I’m one of the young guys but I’m trying to be one of the leaders and play a big role and be someone that guys can look up to and ask questions,” he said after participating in nine hours of meetings at a Chicago hotel Tuesday, going over everything from the association’s internal finances to negotiating strategies they plan to take to the NHL. “With (the Islanders) we have a pretty young team so it’s important for us to be involved and aware of what’s happening.”
Are we sure he’s 21? That’s spoken like a guy wise beyond his years.
Tavares says he wants to play a role in things because he remembers being a bummed out kid in 2004-05 when the NHL locked out the players, killing a season in the process. Making sure to not be part of something like that is pretty good motivation to get it right. Then again, things are different when you’re on the other side of the fence.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 18
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)