Jun 27, 2012, 10:11 AM EDT
What were you doing when you were 21-years-old? Most answers probably have something to do with a bar and shotgunning beers. For Islanders star John Tavares, he’s trying to help the players find labor peace with the owners.
Michael Grange of Sportsnet hears from Tavares about the role he’s trying to play in helping put together a new Collective Bargaining Agreement.
“I’m one of the young guys but I’m trying to be one of the leaders and play a big role and be someone that guys can look up to and ask questions,” he said after participating in nine hours of meetings at a Chicago hotel Tuesday, going over everything from the association’s internal finances to negotiating strategies they plan to take to the NHL. “With (the Islanders) we have a pretty young team so it’s important for us to be involved and aware of what’s happening.”
Are we sure he’s 21? That’s spoken like a guy wise beyond his years.
Tavares says he wants to play a role in things because he remembers being a bummed out kid in 2004-05 when the NHL locked out the players, killing a season in the process. Making sure to not be part of something like that is pretty good motivation to get it right. Then again, things are different when you’re on the other side of the fence.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 27
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)