Jun 26, 2012, 4:15 PM EST
All week leading up to Sunday, July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Hal Gill (D)
2011-12 cap hit: $2.25 million
Acquiring Gill was part of Nashville’s “all in” approach at the trade deadline and, for the most part, those moves blew up in GM David Poile’s face. Gill wasn’t an exception — acquired to play in the postseason, he was only healthy enough for five playoff games — but circumstances might open the door for his return.
The Predators are going to bleed free agents this summer, and Ryan Suter‘s potential departure would require the heaviest stitching. Suter’s absence could help justify bringing Gill back, especially since Poile is on record of saying he wants size on the blueline.
That said, nostalgia might guide his course. Gill told Dave Stubbs that he still loves Montreal and it’s reasonable to assume Montreal might be interested in bringing him back for a second run.
If those two destinations don’t work out, Gill makes plenty of sense as a depth defenseman on a contender. While he can be exposed as a pylon at times, his value jumps in the playoffs. Much like in basketball, hockey’s pace slows down to the puck equivalent to “half-court offense” far more often, which suits Gill’s rugged, shot-blocking style.
More UFA spotlights
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 0
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 52
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (53)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)