Jun 26, 2012, 4:15 PM EDT
All week leading up to Sunday, July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Hal Gill (D)
2011-12 cap hit: $2.25 million
Acquiring Gill was part of Nashville’s “all in” approach at the trade deadline and, for the most part, those moves blew up in GM David Poile’s face. Gill wasn’t an exception — acquired to play in the postseason, he was only healthy enough for five playoff games — but circumstances might open the door for his return.
The Predators are going to bleed free agents this summer, and Ryan Suter‘s potential departure would require the heaviest stitching. Suter’s absence could help justify bringing Gill back, especially since Poile is on record of saying he wants size on the blueline.
That said, nostalgia might guide his course. Gill told Dave Stubbs that he still loves Montreal and it’s reasonable to assume Montreal might be interested in bringing him back for a second run.
If those two destinations don’t work out, Gill makes plenty of sense as a depth defenseman on a contender. While he can be exposed as a pylon at times, his value jumps in the playoffs. Much like in basketball, hockey’s pace slows down to the puck equivalent to “half-court offense” far more often, which suits Gill’s rugged, shot-blocking style.
More UFA spotlights
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 1
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 21
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)