Jun 26, 2012, 5:49 PM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Bryce Salvador (D)
2011-12 cap hit: $2.9 million
Not that anyone should expect Salvador to keep scoring at that rate – his career high for regular-season points is 16. But for a team that’s looking for a big, steady blue-liner that can log 20 minutes a night, throw some hits, and block some shots, he could be a match.
Maybe that team is the New Jersey Devils.
“It all comes down to the situation,” Salvador told The Star-Ledger after the Stanley Cup finals. “Before this season I didn’t know what level I’d be able to play at and how I’d feel (after missing last season with a cochlear concussion). My goal coming off the injury was just to re-establish myself and show I could play and be versatile. The (offensive display in the) playoffs was an intangible that just happened. I know I can play a good 2-3 years now. If everything works out well here, it’s been a great fit for me.”
New Jersey already has four defensemen – Anton Volchenkov, Marek Zidlicky, Andy Greene and Henrik Tallinder – under contract with cap hits of $3 million or more. Add youngsters Adam Larsson and Mark Fayne to the mix and there might not be room for Salvador.
More UFA spotlights
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 10
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 23
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 66
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (70)