Jun 26, 2012, 5:49 PM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Bryce Salvador (D)
2011-12 cap hit: $2.9 million
Not that anyone should expect Salvador to keep scoring at that rate – his career high for regular-season points is 16. But for a team that’s looking for a big, steady blue-liner that can log 20 minutes a night, throw some hits, and block some shots, he could be a match.
Maybe that team is the New Jersey Devils.
“It all comes down to the situation,” Salvador told The Star-Ledger after the Stanley Cup finals. “Before this season I didn’t know what level I’d be able to play at and how I’d feel (after missing last season with a cochlear concussion). My goal coming off the injury was just to re-establish myself and show I could play and be versatile. The (offensive display in the) playoffs was an intangible that just happened. I know I can play a good 2-3 years now. If everything works out well here, it’s been a great fit for me.”
New Jersey already has four defensemen – Anton Volchenkov, Marek Zidlicky, Andy Greene and Henrik Tallinder – under contract with cap hits of $3 million or more. Add youngsters Adam Larsson and Mark Fayne to the mix and there might not be room for Salvador.
More UFA spotlights
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 0
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 13
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 28
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)