Jun 26, 2012, 5:49 PM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Bryce Salvador (D)
2011-12 cap hit: $2.9 million
Not that anyone should expect Salvador to keep scoring at that rate – his career high for regular-season points is 16. But for a team that’s looking for a big, steady blue-liner that can log 20 minutes a night, throw some hits, and block some shots, he could be a match.
Maybe that team is the New Jersey Devils.
“It all comes down to the situation,” Salvador told The Star-Ledger after the Stanley Cup finals. “Before this season I didn’t know what level I’d be able to play at and how I’d feel (after missing last season with a cochlear concussion). My goal coming off the injury was just to re-establish myself and show I could play and be versatile. The (offensive display in the) playoffs was an intangible that just happened. I know I can play a good 2-3 years now. If everything works out well here, it’s been a great fit for me.”
New Jersey already has four defensemen – Anton Volchenkov, Marek Zidlicky, Andy Greene and Henrik Tallinder – under contract with cap hits of $3 million or more. Add youngsters Adam Larsson and Mark Fayne to the mix and there might not be room for Salvador.
More UFA spotlights
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 6
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 16
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 14
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 54
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)