Jun 26, 2012, 5:49 PM EST
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Bryce Salvador (D)
2011-12 cap hit: $2.9 million
Not that anyone should expect Salvador to keep scoring at that rate – his career high for regular-season points is 16. But for a team that’s looking for a big, steady blue-liner that can log 20 minutes a night, throw some hits, and block some shots, he could be a match.
Maybe that team is the New Jersey Devils.
“It all comes down to the situation,” Salvador told The Star-Ledger after the Stanley Cup finals. “Before this season I didn’t know what level I’d be able to play at and how I’d feel (after missing last season with a cochlear concussion). My goal coming off the injury was just to re-establish myself and show I could play and be versatile. The (offensive display in the) playoffs was an intangible that just happened. I know I can play a good 2-3 years now. If everything works out well here, it’s been a great fit for me.”
New Jersey already has four defensemen – Anton Volchenkov, Marek Zidlicky, Andy Greene and Henrik Tallinder – under contract with cap hits of $3 million or more. Add youngsters Adam Larsson and Mark Fayne to the mix and there might not be room for Salvador.
More UFA spotlights
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 14
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 7
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 16
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)