Jun 26, 2012, 4:45 PM EDT
In Apr. 2011, the Bruins and Canadiens played another in the long history of bitter rivalry games — Game 4 of the Eastern Conference quarterfinals, to be exact.
It was a heated affair, like most others, but the big difference this time was a particular goalscoring celebration from B’s defenseman Andrew Ference:
Unsurprisingly, the move set off a flurry of criticisms towards Ference, who responded to the allegations by claiming the act was “an equipment malfunction” and an “unintentional bird.”
I am guilty myself of trying to blame a middle-fingered celebration after a goal in Montreal on a glove malfunction. In round one of the playoffs between two of the fiercest rivals in our sport, I scored a tying goal in the enemy’s building, only to have my fist pump turn into a sign language that crosses all borders.
Facing the media and a possible suspension after the fact proved to be too much for my self-accountability. Self-preservation is a powerful thing… it is easier to place blame elsewhere and overlook your own responsibilities.
And so ends the legacy of the unintentional bird which, I have to say, never caught on like I thought it would. I guess it’s hard coming up with a meaningful catchphrase in today’s society, especially with golden material like “taking my talents to South Beach,” and “that’s a clown question, bro.”
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 4
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 35
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)