Jun 26, 2012, 10:10 AM EDT
The Ottawa Senators’ interest in acquiring Rick Nash is a curious situation. Nash would give them a major offensive weapon but Nash reportedly doesn’t have Ottawa on his list of teams he’d accept a trade to. What to do then if you’re the Senators?
Ottawa assistant GM Tim Murray says their pursuit of Nash is shrouded in a bit of secrecy but they don’t want to have to sell him on coming to Ottawa. Wayne Scanlan of Senators Extra gets the lowdown.
Generally speaking, Murray said, the Senators would not try to “talk somebody into coming to Ottawa,” beyond the usual pitch of this being a competitive club, a good city, with a friendly travel schedule.
“If you have to beg, it’s probably the wrong player that you’re talking to,” Murray said.
Nash could always alter his list or just say he’s cool with going to Ottawa and make things easier. Then again, maybe Murray makes a good point on having to campaign to a guy about coming to your town. If joining a playoff team and playing alongside Jason Spezza isn’t an enticing switch from Columbus, there’s not much else you can do aside from maybe cry a little on the inside.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)