Jun 26, 2012, 10:10 AM EDT
The Ottawa Senators’ interest in acquiring Rick Nash is a curious situation. Nash would give them a major offensive weapon but Nash reportedly doesn’t have Ottawa on his list of teams he’d accept a trade to. What to do then if you’re the Senators?
Ottawa assistant GM Tim Murray says their pursuit of Nash is shrouded in a bit of secrecy but they don’t want to have to sell him on coming to Ottawa. Wayne Scanlan of Senators Extra gets the lowdown.
Generally speaking, Murray said, the Senators would not try to “talk somebody into coming to Ottawa,” beyond the usual pitch of this being a competitive club, a good city, with a friendly travel schedule.
“If you have to beg, it’s probably the wrong player that you’re talking to,” Murray said.
Nash could always alter his list or just say he’s cool with going to Ottawa and make things easier. Then again, maybe Murray makes a good point on having to campaign to a guy about coming to your town. If joining a playoff team and playing alongside Jason Spezza isn’t an enticing switch from Columbus, there’s not much else you can do aside from maybe cry a little on the inside.
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 5
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 20
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 14
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)