Jun 26, 2012, 10:10 AM EST
The Ottawa Senators’ interest in acquiring Rick Nash is a curious situation. Nash would give them a major offensive weapon but Nash reportedly doesn’t have Ottawa on his list of teams he’d accept a trade to. What to do then if you’re the Senators?
Ottawa assistant GM Tim Murray says their pursuit of Nash is shrouded in a bit of secrecy but they don’t want to have to sell him on coming to Ottawa. Wayne Scanlan of Senators Extra gets the lowdown.
Generally speaking, Murray said, the Senators would not try to “talk somebody into coming to Ottawa,” beyond the usual pitch of this being a competitive club, a good city, with a friendly travel schedule.
“If you have to beg, it’s probably the wrong player that you’re talking to,” Murray said.
Nash could always alter his list or just say he’s cool with going to Ottawa and make things easier. Then again, maybe Murray makes a good point on having to campaign to a guy about coming to your town. If joining a playoff team and playing alongside Jason Spezza isn’t an enticing switch from Columbus, there’s not much else you can do aside from maybe cry a little on the inside.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)