Jun 26, 2012, 10:10 AM EST
The Ottawa Senators’ interest in acquiring Rick Nash is a curious situation. Nash would give them a major offensive weapon but Nash reportedly doesn’t have Ottawa on his list of teams he’d accept a trade to. What to do then if you’re the Senators?
Ottawa assistant GM Tim Murray says their pursuit of Nash is shrouded in a bit of secrecy but they don’t want to have to sell him on coming to Ottawa. Wayne Scanlan of Senators Extra gets the lowdown.
Generally speaking, Murray said, the Senators would not try to “talk somebody into coming to Ottawa,” beyond the usual pitch of this being a competitive club, a good city, with a friendly travel schedule.
“If you have to beg, it’s probably the wrong player that you’re talking to,” Murray said.
Nash could always alter his list or just say he’s cool with going to Ottawa and make things easier. Then again, maybe Murray makes a good point on having to campaign to a guy about coming to your town. If joining a playoff team and playing alongside Jason Spezza isn’t an enticing switch from Columbus, there’s not much else you can do aside from maybe cry a little on the inside.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (67)