Jun 26, 2012, 3:29 PM EDT
Welcome to the Hockey Hall of Fame, Joe Sakic, Adam Oates, Pavel Bure, and Mats Sundin.
In a related story, let the debate rage.
Sakic is a no-doubt-about-it, first-ballot inductee. Drafted 15th overall in 1987 by the Quebec Nordiques, he went on to score 1,641 points in 1,378 NHL games, winning the Stanley Cup twice with the Colorado Avalanche. In 1996, he was awarded the Conn Smythe Trophy as playoff MVP; in 2001, he won the Hart Trophy as league MVP.
Oates finally gets the nod after being passed over in previous years. The brand new coach of the Washington Capitals retired as one of the greatest playmakers in league history. Only five players – Wayne Gretzky, Ron Francis, Mark Messier, Ray Bourque, and Paul Coffey – finished with more assists than the 1,079 Oates tallied with Detroit, St. Louis, Boston, Washington, Philadelphia, Anaheim and Edmonton.
Bure’s NHL career wasn’t a particularly lengthy one – injuries limited the Russian Rocket to just 702 games in 12 seasons – but as his nickname suggests, he was one of the most exciting players of his era. Bure retired with 437 goals in stints with the Canucks, Panthers and Rangers.
Sundin was drafted first overall in 1998 by the Quebec Nordiques. In 1994, he was traded to Toronto where he became the captain of the Maple Leafs before finishing his 1,349-point career in Vancouver. Sundin also excelled on the international stage, winning Olympic gold for Sweden in 2006 and World Championship gold in 1991, 1992 and 1998.
Notably, of the four inductees, only Sakic won a Stanley Cup.
Brendan Shanahan’s failure to gain induction will be a controversial decision by the selection committee.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
Whether he does or not will impact the Flyers’ roster.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:41 PM EDT
A big defenseman from Lake Superior State.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:18 PM EDT
Burly power forward’s in the midst of a disappointing season.
Mar 11, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
“It’s great to have him around,” said Wild head coach Mike Yeo.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:47 PM EDT
Dallas GM Jim Nill also released a statement.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:38 PM EDT
“We need to take this one, especially if there’s a four-point swing,” says d-man Brendan Smith.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT
Rough season for him, to say the least.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:12 PM EDT
Suffered third straight loss on Monday night vs. Toronto.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:07 PM EDT
“The fans won’t have it. The players won’t have it. And even if you hire a new GM, there is no way he’ll have it.”
Mar 11, 2014, 10:52 AM EDT
He thinks the Panthers have a shot at winning the Stanley Cup before he retires.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
The Calgary Flames were already missing several forwards.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:12 AM EDT
Nothing’s official, but it sounds like he’ll stick with the Buffalo Sabres after all.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:43 AM EDT
Washington desperately needs the two points.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:26 AM EDT
It was mostly a night of disappointments
Mar 11, 2014, 1:15 AM EDT
“We need to be men.”
Mar 11, 2014, 12:39 AM EDT
It just keeps getting worse.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:29 AM EDT
It’s an MCL injury, according to Patrick Roy.
Mar 10, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
It’s also his first point since Jan. 10.
Mar 10, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
At least they have Ales Hemsky.
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 4
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 33
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)