Jun 26, 2012, 3:29 PM EDT
Welcome to the Hockey Hall of Fame, Joe Sakic, Adam Oates, Pavel Bure, and Mats Sundin.
In a related story, let the debate rage.
Sakic is a no-doubt-about-it, first-ballot inductee. Drafted 15th overall in 1987 by the Quebec Nordiques, he went on to score 1,641 points in 1,378 NHL games, winning the Stanley Cup twice with the Colorado Avalanche. In 1996, he was awarded the Conn Smythe Trophy as playoff MVP; in 2001, he won the Hart Trophy as league MVP.
Oates finally gets the nod after being passed over in previous years. The brand new coach of the Washington Capitals retired as one of the greatest playmakers in league history. Only five players – Wayne Gretzky, Ron Francis, Mark Messier, Ray Bourque, and Paul Coffey – finished with more assists than the 1,079 Oates tallied with Detroit, St. Louis, Boston, Washington, Philadelphia, Anaheim and Edmonton.
Bure’s NHL career wasn’t a particularly lengthy one – injuries limited the Russian Rocket to just 702 games in 12 seasons – but as his nickname suggests, he was one of the most exciting players of his era. Bure retired with 437 goals in stints with the Canucks, Panthers and Rangers.
Sundin was drafted first overall in 1998 by the Quebec Nordiques. In 1994, he was traded to Toronto where he became the captain of the Maple Leafs before finishing his 1,349-point career in Vancouver. Sundin also excelled on the international stage, winning Olympic gold for Sweden in 2006 and World Championship gold in 1991, 1992 and 1998.
Notably, of the four inductees, only Sakic won a Stanley Cup.
Brendan Shanahan’s failure to gain induction will be a controversial decision by the selection committee.
Jul 29, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
Had 11 goals and seven assists in 53 games last season.
Jul 29, 2014, 9:47 AM EDT
Expected to be healthy for training camp.
Jul 29, 2014, 9:35 AM EDT
Can become an unrestricted free agent next summer now.
Jul 29, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
They won the Stanley Cup together in Tampa Bay.
Jul 29, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Jul 28, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Both were part of Dallas’ 1999 championship.
Jul 28, 2014, 10:16 PM EDT
He was recently hired by the team to serve as an assistant general manager.
Jul 28, 2014, 9:09 PM EDT
That won’t be easy given the Bruins’ current logjam.
Jul 28, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
He might still end up playing in Russia.
Jul 28, 2014, 6:50 PM EDT
He attempted to make the transition to North America in 2013-14.
Jul 28, 2014, 5:42 PM EDT
The two sides are unlikely to agree to terms quickly though.
Jul 28, 2014, 4:37 PM EDT
Yashin and Bure are among the players that will compete against Los Angeles.
Jul 28, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
“I was told there’s a definite opportunity.”
Jul 28, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT
Former Anaheim forward posted a career high in points last year.
Jul 28, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT
With Riley Sheahan also signed, the only RFA left is Danny DeKeyser.
Jul 28, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
He’s appeared in over 150 NHL games with Chicago, Dallas and Minnesota.
Jul 28, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Veteran goalie is high on his young teammates.
Jul 28, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
“It’ll be done before camp.”
Jul 28, 2014, 9:58 AM EDT
Appeared in 83 games for Calgary over the last three seasons.
Jul 28, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
They’ll be dancing close to the upper limit all year.
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 1
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 8
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)