Jun 26, 2012, 9:05 PM EST
The Montreal Canadiens didn’t take an enormous risk by handing rugged forward Ryan White a one-year, $687,500 deal. Still, it did require a bit of a leap of faith because injuries limited him to just 20 games played last season. White told Abe Hefter that he’s excited to get a chance to prove that he can stay healthy and contribute.
“It feels great,” White said. “I’m excited to be back with the Montreal Canadiens. It’s another opportunity to show what I can do. “I want to have a good showing this year and play 80 games — show everyone I can do it.”
At least he’s keeping his goals more reasonable by assuming he’ll miss two out of 82 games, eh? All kidding aside, White is getting an opportunity to impress a new coaching staff and front office headed by first-time GM Marc Bergevin. Considering his modest resume – he has two goals in his career, all from the 2010-11 season – he has to be thanking his lucky stars that his chance is coming in a familiar situation.
Now he just needs to be lucky enough injury-wise to give a real shot.
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 81
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 78
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)