Jun 26, 2012, 9:05 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens didn’t take an enormous risk by handing rugged forward Ryan White a one-year, $687,500 deal. Still, it did require a bit of a leap of faith because injuries limited him to just 20 games played last season. White told Abe Hefter that he’s excited to get a chance to prove that he can stay healthy and contribute.
“It feels great,” White said. “I’m excited to be back with the Montreal Canadiens. It’s another opportunity to show what I can do. “I want to have a good showing this year and play 80 games — show everyone I can do it.”
At least he’s keeping his goals more reasonable by assuming he’ll miss two out of 82 games, eh? All kidding aside, White is getting an opportunity to impress a new coaching staff and front office headed by first-time GM Marc Bergevin. Considering his modest resume – he has two goals in his career, all from the 2010-11 season – he has to be thanking his lucky stars that his chance is coming in a familiar situation.
Now he just needs to be lucky enough injury-wise to give a real shot.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)