Jun 26, 2012, 9:05 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens didn’t take an enormous risk by handing rugged forward Ryan White a one-year, $687,500 deal. Still, it did require a bit of a leap of faith because injuries limited him to just 20 games played last season. White told Abe Hefter that he’s excited to get a chance to prove that he can stay healthy and contribute.
“It feels great,” White said. “I’m excited to be back with the Montreal Canadiens. It’s another opportunity to show what I can do. “I want to have a good showing this year and play 80 games — show everyone I can do it.”
At least he’s keeping his goals more reasonable by assuming he’ll miss two out of 82 games, eh? All kidding aside, White is getting an opportunity to impress a new coaching staff and front office headed by first-time GM Marc Bergevin. Considering his modest resume – he has two goals in his career, all from the 2010-11 season – he has to be thanking his lucky stars that his chance is coming in a familiar situation.
Now he just needs to be lucky enough injury-wise to give a real shot.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 0
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 36
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 11
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)