Jun 26, 2012, 9:05 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens didn’t take an enormous risk by handing rugged forward Ryan White a one-year, $687,500 deal. Still, it did require a bit of a leap of faith because injuries limited him to just 20 games played last season. White told Abe Hefter that he’s excited to get a chance to prove that he can stay healthy and contribute.
“It feels great,” White said. “I’m excited to be back with the Montreal Canadiens. It’s another opportunity to show what I can do. “I want to have a good showing this year and play 80 games — show everyone I can do it.”
At least he’s keeping his goals more reasonable by assuming he’ll miss two out of 82 games, eh? All kidding aside, White is getting an opportunity to impress a new coaching staff and front office headed by first-time GM Marc Bergevin. Considering his modest resume – he has two goals in his career, all from the 2010-11 season – he has to be thanking his lucky stars that his chance is coming in a familiar situation.
Now he just needs to be lucky enough injury-wise to give a real shot.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 18
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 30
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 32
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)