Jun 26, 2012, 9:20 AM EST
If it was up to former NHL head coach and star forward Rick Tocchet to pick the new coach for the Washington Capitals, his choice would be simple. He’d be all about Adam Oates.
Tocchet tells CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley that Oates has that special something other candidates can’t provide behind the bench.
“He’s not a rah-rah guy. He’s not going to stand up and give you a Knute Rockne speech. But he’s a man’s man and a pro. I think he could be a great head coach.
“Let’s put it this way: If I was an owner or a GM I’d find a way to get Adam Oates on my team. In my opinion, 85 percent of the league’s coaches are the same. Adam gives you that extra 15 percent that can put a team over the top.”
Tocchet and Oates were teammates in both Boston and Washington and were on the same coaching staff together in Tampa Bay. To say Tocchet has a good feel for what Oates can do might be an understatement. Oates is believed to be a finalist for the Caps job along with Norfolk Admirals coach Jon Cooper and Blackhawks assistant coach Mike Haviland.
One thing working in Oates’ favor is his history with Caps GM George McPhee as he was running the Caps when Oates called D.C. his home from 1997 to 2001. The Caps are expected to make their coaching choice this week.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 155
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 123
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (155)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (125)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)