Jun 26, 2012, 9:20 AM EDT
If it was up to former NHL head coach and star forward Rick Tocchet to pick the new coach for the Washington Capitals, his choice would be simple. He’d be all about Adam Oates.
Tocchet tells CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley that Oates has that special something other candidates can’t provide behind the bench.
“He’s not a rah-rah guy. He’s not going to stand up and give you a Knute Rockne speech. But he’s a man’s man and a pro. I think he could be a great head coach.
“Let’s put it this way: If I was an owner or a GM I’d find a way to get Adam Oates on my team. In my opinion, 85 percent of the league’s coaches are the same. Adam gives you that extra 15 percent that can put a team over the top.”
Tocchet and Oates were teammates in both Boston and Washington and were on the same coaching staff together in Tampa Bay. To say Tocchet has a good feel for what Oates can do might be an understatement. Oates is believed to be a finalist for the Caps job along with Norfolk Admirals coach Jon Cooper and Blackhawks assistant coach Mike Haviland.
One thing working in Oates’ favor is his history with Caps GM George McPhee as he was running the Caps when Oates called D.C. his home from 1997 to 2001. The Caps are expected to make their coaching choice this week.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 41
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)