Jun 26, 2012, 2:23 PM EDT
According to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun, Florida Panthers GM Dale Tallon has the okay from ownership to take on Roberto Luongo’s contract.
LeBrun made the comment today on Vancouver radio station Team 1040.
Luongo’s contract, which features a $5.3 million cap hit, runs through the end of the 2021-22 season — however, the last three seasons of the deal are for minimal salary and it’s highly likely the 33-year-old will retire before it expires.
Florida is believed to be Luongo’s preferred landing spot.
Of course, none of the above guarantees a trade. Tallon doesn’t want to part with a top prospect (like Nick Bjugstad) and Canucks GM Mike Gillis wants something significant in return.
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 8
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 3
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 34
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 81
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 9
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 23
- Playoffs Tonight: ‘Pesky’ Sens fight to even series vs Pens 18
- Video: Vlasic’s controversial delay of game penalty 22
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (82)
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness