Jun 26, 2012, 7:45 PM EDT
Sure, it’s somewhat comforting that NHLPA head Donald Fehr says a season can start without a CBA in place and that the Sept. 15 expiration date isn’t a “magic number.” Still, with a hopeful start to next season not all that far away in October, most hockey fans would prefer to see both sides as proactive as possible. There seems to be pretty good news in that regard, too; Louis Jean reports that the NHL and its players association will begin meeting on Friday.
Full-fledged free agent Shane Doan might have said it best, though; things have a way of happening with more urgency when the pressure is applied. Having a meeting is fine and well, but having productive ones requires both sides to be respectful and cooperative.
(Surely the NBA and NFL’s CBA tug-o-wars included a mind-numbing array of meetings, but only one league avoided missing a significant chunk of regular season games.)
Still, with the free agent frenzy nearly upon us, it’s nice to know that the powers on both sides will already commence talks to increase the chances that all that wild spending could actually be put to a prompt test.
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 2
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)