Jun 26, 2012, 7:45 PM EST
Sure, it’s somewhat comforting that NHLPA head Donald Fehr says a season can start without a CBA in place and that the Sept. 15 expiration date isn’t a “magic number.” Still, with a hopeful start to next season not all that far away in October, most hockey fans would prefer to see both sides as proactive as possible. There seems to be pretty good news in that regard, too; Louis Jean reports that the NHL and its players association will begin meeting on Friday.
Full-fledged free agent Shane Doan might have said it best, though; things have a way of happening with more urgency when the pressure is applied. Having a meeting is fine and well, but having productive ones requires both sides to be respectful and cooperative.
(Surely the NBA and NFL’s CBA tug-o-wars included a mind-numbing array of meetings, but only one league avoided missing a significant chunk of regular season games.)
Still, with the free agent frenzy nearly upon us, it’s nice to know that the powers on both sides will already commence talks to increase the chances that all that wild spending could actually be put to a prompt test.
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 8
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 8
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 23
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)