Jun 26, 2012, 7:45 PM EDT
Sure, it’s somewhat comforting that NHLPA head Donald Fehr says a season can start without a CBA in place and that the Sept. 15 expiration date isn’t a “magic number.” Still, with a hopeful start to next season not all that far away in October, most hockey fans would prefer to see both sides as proactive as possible. There seems to be pretty good news in that regard, too; Louis Jean reports that the NHL and its players association will begin meeting on Friday.
Full-fledged free agent Shane Doan might have said it best, though; things have a way of happening with more urgency when the pressure is applied. Having a meeting is fine and well, but having productive ones requires both sides to be respectful and cooperative.
(Surely the NBA and NFL’s CBA tug-o-wars included a mind-numbing array of meetings, but only one league avoided missing a significant chunk of regular season games.)
Still, with the free agent frenzy nearly upon us, it’s nice to know that the powers on both sides will already commence talks to increase the chances that all that wild spending could actually be put to a prompt test.
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 18
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 52
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 42
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 11
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)