Jun 26, 2012, 12:03 PM EST
The New York Rangers are more than set in goal with Henrik Lundqvist, but finding a solid backup has been tricky. Martin Biron has been solid behind King Henrik the past two seasons and the soon-to-be free agent is someone the team would like to keep around.
Larry Brooks of the New York Post hears from Biron’s agent about how the Rangers are trying to keep his client in town.
“We have had several positive discussions with the Rangers that are hopefully headed in the right direction, because Marty’s first choice is to remain in New York,” Biron’s agent, Peter Fish, told The Post yesterday. “The Rangers have made it clear that they want to keep him, but there is still some work to be done.”
The catch here for the Rangers is Biron makes for an attractive backup option for other teams with money to spend. Philadelphia once had Biron and with Sergei Bobrovsky now in Columbus, they’ll need someone solid to backup Ilya Bryzgalov. Biron was popular during his time in Philly and could fit there again.
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 81
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 78
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)