Jun 26, 2012, 12:03 PM EDT
The New York Rangers are more than set in goal with Henrik Lundqvist, but finding a solid backup has been tricky. Martin Biron has been solid behind King Henrik the past two seasons and the soon-to-be free agent is someone the team would like to keep around.
Larry Brooks of the New York Post hears from Biron’s agent about how the Rangers are trying to keep his client in town.
“We have had several positive discussions with the Rangers that are hopefully headed in the right direction, because Marty’s first choice is to remain in New York,” Biron’s agent, Peter Fish, told The Post yesterday. “The Rangers have made it clear that they want to keep him, but there is still some work to be done.”
The catch here for the Rangers is Biron makes for an attractive backup option for other teams with money to spend. Philadelphia once had Biron and with Sergei Bobrovsky now in Columbus, they’ll need someone solid to backup Ilya Bryzgalov. Biron was popular during his time in Philly and could fit there again.
- Video: Flames stun Ducks in OT to get back in the series 5
- Video: Controversial no-goal call on Flames 6
- Video: Crawford, Kane help Blackhawks push Wild to brink of elimination 33
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 48
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 22
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 52
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 66
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)