Jun 26, 2012, 10:59 AM EST
Kane was Winnipeg’s top goal scorer last season and is now in need of a new, long-term deal.
GM Kevin Cheveldayoff tells Ken Wiebe of the Winnipeg Sun there’s a lot that needs to be done there.
“Certainly, there’s a tremendous amount of work that needs to be done and behind the scenes there’s lots of work that is ongoing with Evander’s basis and others on a parallel basis as well,” the Jets general manager said Monday during a conference call.
Kane’s 30 goals was best on the Jets, with Andrew Ladd‘s 28 being next best. Kane is just 20 years old and the best young player in Winnipeg. After Pavelec landed a deal that pays him just under $4 million a year, Kane could be in the driver’s seat to demand a hearty offer of his own. The Jets need more offense and Kane being so good while so young means wanting to keep him around and happy.
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 62
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 7
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 133
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (133)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (113)