Jun 26, 2012, 10:59 AM EDT
Kane was Winnipeg’s top goal scorer last season and is now in need of a new, long-term deal.
GM Kevin Cheveldayoff tells Ken Wiebe of the Winnipeg Sun there’s a lot that needs to be done there.
“Certainly, there’s a tremendous amount of work that needs to be done and behind the scenes there’s lots of work that is ongoing with Evander’s basis and others on a parallel basis as well,” the Jets general manager said Monday during a conference call.
Kane’s 30 goals was best on the Jets, with Andrew Ladd‘s 28 being next best. Kane is just 20 years old and the best young player in Winnipeg. After Pavelec landed a deal that pays him just under $4 million a year, Kane could be in the driver’s seat to demand a hearty offer of his own. The Jets need more offense and Kane being so good while so young means wanting to keep him around and happy.
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 0
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 12
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 14
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 19
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 68
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 100
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 20
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 99
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement