Jun 26, 2012, 10:59 AM EDT
Kane was Winnipeg’s top goal scorer last season and is now in need of a new, long-term deal.
GM Kevin Cheveldayoff tells Ken Wiebe of the Winnipeg Sun there’s a lot that needs to be done there.
“Certainly, there’s a tremendous amount of work that needs to be done and behind the scenes there’s lots of work that is ongoing with Evander’s basis and others on a parallel basis as well,” the Jets general manager said Monday during a conference call.
Kane’s 30 goals was best on the Jets, with Andrew Ladd‘s 28 being next best. Kane is just 20 years old and the best young player in Winnipeg. After Pavelec landed a deal that pays him just under $4 million a year, Kane could be in the driver’s seat to demand a hearty offer of his own. The Jets need more offense and Kane being so good while so young means wanting to keep him around and happy.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 38
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 99
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 88
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 19
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (100)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)