Jun 26, 2012, 10:59 AM EDT
Kane was Winnipeg’s top goal scorer last season and is now in need of a new, long-term deal.
GM Kevin Cheveldayoff tells Ken Wiebe of the Winnipeg Sun there’s a lot that needs to be done there.
“Certainly, there’s a tremendous amount of work that needs to be done and behind the scenes there’s lots of work that is ongoing with Evander’s basis and others on a parallel basis as well,” the Jets general manager said Monday during a conference call.
Kane’s 30 goals was best on the Jets, with Andrew Ladd‘s 28 being next best. Kane is just 20 years old and the best young player in Winnipeg. After Pavelec landed a deal that pays him just under $4 million a year, Kane could be in the driver’s seat to demand a hearty offer of his own. The Jets need more offense and Kane being so good while so young means wanting to keep him around and happy.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 21
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 38
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)