Jun 26, 2012, 10:59 AM EDT
Kane was Winnipeg’s top goal scorer last season and is now in need of a new, long-term deal.
GM Kevin Cheveldayoff tells Ken Wiebe of the Winnipeg Sun there’s a lot that needs to be done there.
“Certainly, there’s a tremendous amount of work that needs to be done and behind the scenes there’s lots of work that is ongoing with Evander’s basis and others on a parallel basis as well,” the Jets general manager said Monday during a conference call.
Kane’s 30 goals was best on the Jets, with Andrew Ladd‘s 28 being next best. Kane is just 20 years old and the best young player in Winnipeg. After Pavelec landed a deal that pays him just under $4 million a year, Kane could be in the driver’s seat to demand a hearty offer of his own. The Jets need more offense and Kane being so good while so young means wanting to keep him around and happy.
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 0
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 52
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 51
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 54
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)