Jun 26, 2012, 11:26 AM EDT
You could say Alex Ovechkin had a down year in Washington for the Capitals. His scoring was down, he didn’t look like the dominating offensive threat he used to be, and he was being sat down for large chunks of time during games. But is he the worst athlete in the city? According to the readers of a D.C. publication, yes he is.
Washingtonian Magazine readers voted Ovechkin as the “worst athlete in the city” in their “best of the city” issue.
Dan Steinberg of D.C. Sports Bog brings us some sanity in this insane, troll-filled world.
BUT HE IS NOT THE WORST ATHLETE IN WASHINGTON. I mean, sorry, he’s not a worse athlete than, say, Xavier Nady. And no offense is intended to Xavier Nady here. I think you could make a strong argument that Ovechkin is also not worse than Jan Vesely, or Aldrick Robinson, or Dennis Wideman. I could keep going, and get Mr. Ovechkin out of the Bottom 5 pretty quickly.
There’s a lot of unlikable players in Washington and that’s not taking into account Redskins quarterback Rex Grossman or Wizards forward Andray Blatche either. Hell, Ovechkin isn’t even a top five worst guy on the Capitals, never mind the city.
Sounds like some rival fans of the Capitals had some fun voting on this at Ovechkin’s expense. Good work, trolls!
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 2
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 12
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 63
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 31
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 13
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (67)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)