Jun 26, 2012, 11:26 AM EST
You could say Alex Ovechkin had a down year in Washington for the Capitals. His scoring was down, he didn’t look like the dominating offensive threat he used to be, and he was being sat down for large chunks of time during games. But is he the worst athlete in the city? According to the readers of a D.C. publication, yes he is.
Washingtonian Magazine readers voted Ovechkin as the “worst athlete in the city” in their “best of the city” issue.
Dan Steinberg of D.C. Sports Bog brings us some sanity in this insane, troll-filled world.
BUT HE IS NOT THE WORST ATHLETE IN WASHINGTON. I mean, sorry, he’s not a worse athlete than, say, Xavier Nady. And no offense is intended to Xavier Nady here. I think you could make a strong argument that Ovechkin is also not worse than Jan Vesely, or Aldrick Robinson, or Dennis Wideman. I could keep going, and get Mr. Ovechkin out of the Bottom 5 pretty quickly.
There’s a lot of unlikable players in Washington and that’s not taking into account Redskins quarterback Rex Grossman or Wizards forward Andray Blatche either. Hell, Ovechkin isn’t even a top five worst guy on the Capitals, never mind the city.
Sounds like some rival fans of the Capitals had some fun voting on this at Ovechkin’s expense. Good work, trolls!
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 10
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 8
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 31
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54