Jun 26, 2012, 11:26 AM EDT
You could say Alex Ovechkin had a down year in Washington for the Capitals. His scoring was down, he didn’t look like the dominating offensive threat he used to be, and he was being sat down for large chunks of time during games. But is he the worst athlete in the city? According to the readers of a D.C. publication, yes he is.
Washingtonian Magazine readers voted Ovechkin as the “worst athlete in the city” in their “best of the city” issue.
Dan Steinberg of D.C. Sports Bog brings us some sanity in this insane, troll-filled world.
BUT HE IS NOT THE WORST ATHLETE IN WASHINGTON. I mean, sorry, he’s not a worse athlete than, say, Xavier Nady. And no offense is intended to Xavier Nady here. I think you could make a strong argument that Ovechkin is also not worse than Jan Vesely, or Aldrick Robinson, or Dennis Wideman. I could keep going, and get Mr. Ovechkin out of the Bottom 5 pretty quickly.
There’s a lot of unlikable players in Washington and that’s not taking into account Redskins quarterback Rex Grossman or Wizards forward Andray Blatche either. Hell, Ovechkin isn’t even a top five worst guy on the Capitals, never mind the city.
Sounds like some rival fans of the Capitals had some fun voting on this at Ovechkin’s expense. Good work, trolls!
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 11
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 18
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 52
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 22
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car