Jun 26, 2012, 11:26 AM EST
You could say Alex Ovechkin had a down year in Washington for the Capitals. His scoring was down, he didn’t look like the dominating offensive threat he used to be, and he was being sat down for large chunks of time during games. But is he the worst athlete in the city? According to the readers of a D.C. publication, yes he is.
Washingtonian Magazine readers voted Ovechkin as the “worst athlete in the city” in their “best of the city” issue.
Dan Steinberg of D.C. Sports Bog brings us some sanity in this insane, troll-filled world.
BUT HE IS NOT THE WORST ATHLETE IN WASHINGTON. I mean, sorry, he’s not a worse athlete than, say, Xavier Nady. And no offense is intended to Xavier Nady here. I think you could make a strong argument that Ovechkin is also not worse than Jan Vesely, or Aldrick Robinson, or Dennis Wideman. I could keep going, and get Mr. Ovechkin out of the Bottom 5 pretty quickly.
There’s a lot of unlikable players in Washington and that’s not taking into account Redskins quarterback Rex Grossman or Wizards forward Andray Blatche either. Hell, Ovechkin isn’t even a top five worst guy on the Capitals, never mind the city.
Sounds like some rival fans of the Capitals had some fun voting on this at Ovechkin’s expense. Good work, trolls!
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 5
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 75
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 13
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (85)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)