Jun 26, 2012, 11:26 AM EDT
You could say Alex Ovechkin had a down year in Washington for the Capitals. His scoring was down, he didn’t look like the dominating offensive threat he used to be, and he was being sat down for large chunks of time during games. But is he the worst athlete in the city? According to the readers of a D.C. publication, yes he is.
Washingtonian Magazine readers voted Ovechkin as the “worst athlete in the city” in their “best of the city” issue.
Dan Steinberg of D.C. Sports Bog brings us some sanity in this insane, troll-filled world.
BUT HE IS NOT THE WORST ATHLETE IN WASHINGTON. I mean, sorry, he’s not a worse athlete than, say, Xavier Nady. And no offense is intended to Xavier Nady here. I think you could make a strong argument that Ovechkin is also not worse than Jan Vesely, or Aldrick Robinson, or Dennis Wideman. I could keep going, and get Mr. Ovechkin out of the Bottom 5 pretty quickly.
There’s a lot of unlikable players in Washington and that’s not taking into account Redskins quarterback Rex Grossman or Wizards forward Andray Blatche either. Hell, Ovechkin isn’t even a top five worst guy on the Capitals, never mind the city.
Sounds like some rival fans of the Capitals had some fun voting on this at Ovechkin’s expense. Good work, trolls!
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 11
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 11
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 20
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 28
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)