Jun 26, 2012, 12:40 PM EDT
There’s a good news, bad news situation at play with Boston Bruins prospect Alex Khokhlachev.
The good? After a second solid season with OHL Windsor, he’ll be in Wilmington this week for Bruins Development camp.
The bad? In the fall, he’s off to Russia.
Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com reports (via the Windsor Star) that Khokhlachev — taken 40th overall by Boston in 2011 — will play with Spartak Moscow of the KHL next season, where he’ll reunite with his father, Igor, who works in Spartak’s front office.
More, from Haggerty, who astutely points out Khokhlachev’s nickname is “Koko”:
Khokhlachev led the Spitfires with 25 goals and 69 points in 56 games last season, and wouldn’t appear to have much to prove at the junior hockey level after two dominant seasons. Essentially, Koko is “in between” being ready to graduate from Canadian junior hockey, and not being old enough to play in the AHL next season as a 19-year-old prospect.
So Khokhlachev will play the season in Russia, and the Bruins retain his rights while having until June 1 next year to sign the talented young forward prospect before losing those rights.
Some will draw comparisons between this situation and the one Washington faces with Evgeni Kuznetsov, but that’s unfair. Khokhlachev really is in bind given his age, whereas Kuznetsov is eschewing the Caps’ minor league system to stay in the KHL.
Should also be noted that, at 19, Khokhlachev will be gaining invaluable experience playing with men at the pro level. Spartak features a few ex-NHLers, like Branko Radivojevic and Shaone Morrisonn.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)