Jun 25, 2012, 7:05 PM EDT
When the Chicago Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup – and probably a long time before that – it was hard to imagine Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane ever splitting up. Really, it still is, but with the advent of cell phone photography, gossip hasn’t been kind to Kane and some wonder if he’ll be dealt. Toews discussed his “controversial” teammate with Brian Hedger, carrying a mostly forgiving tone.
“He’s been through some tough things. It’s arguable whether those things happened for a reason or not, but he’s still learning,” Toews said. “Now people are looking for that sort of thing and it tends to be easier for them to find it. I’m sure he’s being very hard on himself right now, but with time it will go away again and he’ll focus on hockey again.”
Still, Toews was a slight bit murky about how much hockey Kane will play with him.
“Whether a coaching staff or management thinks a change needs to be made, that’s up to them [and it's] not really for players to worry about,” Toews said.
That sounds like a loaded comment, but he provided a similar sentiment when asked about the firing of former assistant Mike Haviland.
Perhaps Toews’ real message to Kane is to simply be a little more careful. In the grand scheme of things, Toews seems like he supports and empathizes with his teammate and partner-in-crime. He’s playing it close to the vest (as usual), yet he probably knows as well as anyone how much the two benefit from skating on the same team.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 27
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 26
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)