Jun 25, 2012, 4:19 PM EDT
On Monday, Brandon Sutter spoke publicly for the first time since becoming a member of the Pittsburgh Penguins. After initially expressing shock over his role in the Jordan Staal-to-Carolina deal, the 23-year-old shifted gears and expressed excitement about what Pittsburgh has to offer.
Namely, a chance to win.
“I’m four years into my career now and I’ve yet to play in a playoff game,” Sutter told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “For me, I’m at a point now where it’s about winning. That’s what I want to be there for and I want to help with that. Obviously with the two big guys down the middle, playing behind them is going to be a great opportunity for me”
Sutter debuted with the ‘Canes in 2008-09 but didn’t participate in their surprising playoff run to the Eastern Conference finals where, ironically, they were swept in four games by the eventual Cup champs — Pittsburgh.
Carolina’s been a mediocre team ever since (108-101-37 over the last three years) and hasn’t finished higher than ninth in the East. As such, Sutter’s springs have been filled with watching the Stanley Cup playoffs, rather than participating in them.
He’s hoping that’ll now change.
“I just want to win some games,” he reiterated. “I’m really looking forward to the opportunity to play with some great players.”
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 43
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)