Jun 25, 2012, 4:19 PM EST
On Monday, Brandon Sutter spoke publicly for the first time since becoming a member of the Pittsburgh Penguins. After initially expressing shock over his role in the Jordan Staal-to-Carolina deal, the 23-year-old shifted gears and expressed excitement about what Pittsburgh has to offer.
Namely, a chance to win.
“I’m four years into my career now and I’ve yet to play in a playoff game,” Sutter told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “For me, I’m at a point now where it’s about winning. That’s what I want to be there for and I want to help with that. Obviously with the two big guys down the middle, playing behind them is going to be a great opportunity for me”
Sutter debuted with the ‘Canes in 2008-09 but didn’t participate in their surprising playoff run to the Eastern Conference finals where, ironically, they were swept in four games by the eventual Cup champs — Pittsburgh.
Carolina’s been a mediocre team ever since (108-101-37 over the last three years) and hasn’t finished higher than ninth in the East. As such, Sutter’s springs have been filled with watching the Stanley Cup playoffs, rather than participating in them.
He’s hoping that’ll now change.
“I just want to win some games,” he reiterated. “I’m really looking forward to the opportunity to play with some great players.”
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)