Jun 25, 2012, 4:19 PM EDT
On Monday, Brandon Sutter spoke publicly for the first time since becoming a member of the Pittsburgh Penguins. After initially expressing shock over his role in the Jordan Staal-to-Carolina deal, the 23-year-old shifted gears and expressed excitement about what Pittsburgh has to offer.
Namely, a chance to win.
“I’m four years into my career now and I’ve yet to play in a playoff game,” Sutter told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “For me, I’m at a point now where it’s about winning. That’s what I want to be there for and I want to help with that. Obviously with the two big guys down the middle, playing behind them is going to be a great opportunity for me”
Sutter debuted with the ‘Canes in 2008-09 but didn’t participate in their surprising playoff run to the Eastern Conference finals where, ironically, they were swept in four games by the eventual Cup champs — Pittsburgh.
Carolina’s been a mediocre team ever since (108-101-37 over the last three years) and hasn’t finished higher than ninth in the East. As such, Sutter’s springs have been filled with watching the Stanley Cup playoffs, rather than participating in them.
He’s hoping that’ll now change.
“I just want to win some games,” he reiterated. “I’m really looking forward to the opportunity to play with some great players.”
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 14
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 8
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 9
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)