Jun 25, 2012, 4:19 PM EDT
On Monday, Brandon Sutter spoke publicly for the first time since becoming a member of the Pittsburgh Penguins. After initially expressing shock over his role in the Jordan Staal-to-Carolina deal, the 23-year-old shifted gears and expressed excitement about what Pittsburgh has to offer.
Namely, a chance to win.
“I’m four years into my career now and I’ve yet to play in a playoff game,” Sutter told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “For me, I’m at a point now where it’s about winning. That’s what I want to be there for and I want to help with that. Obviously with the two big guys down the middle, playing behind them is going to be a great opportunity for me”
Sutter debuted with the ‘Canes in 2008-09 but didn’t participate in their surprising playoff run to the Eastern Conference finals where, ironically, they were swept in four games by the eventual Cup champs — Pittsburgh.
Carolina’s been a mediocre team ever since (108-101-37 over the last three years) and hasn’t finished higher than ninth in the East. As such, Sutter’s springs have been filled with watching the Stanley Cup playoffs, rather than participating in them.
He’s hoping that’ll now change.
“I just want to win some games,” he reiterated. “I’m really looking forward to the opportunity to play with some great players.”
- Armstrong: ‘Let’s live to fight another day’ 0
- Hitch needs ‘time to reflect’ before making decision on future 17
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 8
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 39
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 38
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 10
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 31
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)