Jun 25, 2012, 4:19 PM EDT
On Monday, Brandon Sutter spoke publicly for the first time since becoming a member of the Pittsburgh Penguins. After initially expressing shock over his role in the Jordan Staal-to-Carolina deal, the 23-year-old shifted gears and expressed excitement about what Pittsburgh has to offer.
Namely, a chance to win.
“I’m four years into my career now and I’ve yet to play in a playoff game,” Sutter told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “For me, I’m at a point now where it’s about winning. That’s what I want to be there for and I want to help with that. Obviously with the two big guys down the middle, playing behind them is going to be a great opportunity for me”
Sutter debuted with the ‘Canes in 2008-09 but didn’t participate in their surprising playoff run to the Eastern Conference finals where, ironically, they were swept in four games by the eventual Cup champs — Pittsburgh.
Carolina’s been a mediocre team ever since (108-101-37 over the last three years) and hasn’t finished higher than ninth in the East. As such, Sutter’s springs have been filled with watching the Stanley Cup playoffs, rather than participating in them.
He’s hoping that’ll now change.
“I just want to win some games,” he reiterated. “I’m really looking forward to the opportunity to play with some great players.”
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 26
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 14
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 30
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 24
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 18
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 20
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 75
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 103
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 20
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (103)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement