Jun 25, 2012, 8:29 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils extended a qualifying offer to defenseman Mark Fayne today, but he might not be able to provide immediate returns on a deal once the season starts. NHL.com reports that Fayne is expected to miss three-to-four months after undergoing wrist surgery on Friday.
Fayne had the scapholunate ligament of his left wrist repaired, a procedure that is expected to sideline him for 3-4 months.
(This is the first time I’ve heard of the “scapholunate ligament,” so don’t ask me how to pronounce it.)
After playing in 57 games in 2010-11, Fayne played all 82 regular season and 24 postseason contests for the Devils this past season. He went up from an average of 17:50 minutes per game to 20:11 this season, with similar averages (20:19) in the postseason. The 25-year-old blueliner had 17 points in the regular season and three in the playoffs.
The Devils face plenty of off-season questions during the next two summers, but aside from the possible departure of Bryce Salvador, their defense is more or less spoken for. Fayne has a great chance to stick around, even if his injury sidelines him for a while.
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 6
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 16
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 9
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 51
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 21
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- HBT: Angels' Trout hits for cycle against Mariners