Jun 25, 2012, 8:29 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils extended a qualifying offer to defenseman Mark Fayne today, but he might not be able to provide immediate returns on a deal once the season starts. NHL.com reports that Fayne is expected to miss three-to-four months after undergoing wrist surgery on Friday.
Fayne had the scapholunate ligament of his left wrist repaired, a procedure that is expected to sideline him for 3-4 months.
(This is the first time I’ve heard of the “scapholunate ligament,” so don’t ask me how to pronounce it.)
After playing in 57 games in 2010-11, Fayne played all 82 regular season and 24 postseason contests for the Devils this past season. He went up from an average of 17:50 minutes per game to 20:11 this season, with similar averages (20:19) in the postseason. The 25-year-old blueliner had 17 points in the regular season and three in the playoffs.
The Devils face plenty of off-season questions during the next two summers, but aside from the possible departure of Bryce Salvador, their defense is more or less spoken for. Fayne has a great chance to stick around, even if his injury sidelines him for a while.
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 5
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 5
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 12
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 13
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)