Jun 25, 2012, 8:29 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils extended a qualifying offer to defenseman Mark Fayne today, but he might not be able to provide immediate returns on a deal once the season starts. NHL.com reports that Fayne is expected to miss three-to-four months after undergoing wrist surgery on Friday.
Fayne had the scapholunate ligament of his left wrist repaired, a procedure that is expected to sideline him for 3-4 months.
(This is the first time I’ve heard of the “scapholunate ligament,” so don’t ask me how to pronounce it.)
After playing in 57 games in 2010-11, Fayne played all 82 regular season and 24 postseason contests for the Devils this past season. He went up from an average of 17:50 minutes per game to 20:11 this season, with similar averages (20:19) in the postseason. The 25-year-old blueliner had 17 points in the regular season and three in the playoffs.
The Devils face plenty of off-season questions during the next two summers, but aside from the possible departure of Bryce Salvador, their defense is more or less spoken for. Fayne has a great chance to stick around, even if his injury sidelines him for a while.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 18
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 30
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 32
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)