Jun 25, 2012, 8:29 PM EST
The New Jersey Devils extended a qualifying offer to defenseman Mark Fayne today, but he might not be able to provide immediate returns on a deal once the season starts. NHL.com reports that Fayne is expected to miss three-to-four months after undergoing wrist surgery on Friday.
Fayne had the scapholunate ligament of his left wrist repaired, a procedure that is expected to sideline him for 3-4 months.
(This is the first time I’ve heard of the “scapholunate ligament,” so don’t ask me how to pronounce it.)
After playing in 57 games in 2010-11, Fayne played all 82 regular season and 24 postseason contests for the Devils this past season. He went up from an average of 17:50 minutes per game to 20:11 this season, with similar averages (20:19) in the postseason. The 25-year-old blueliner had 17 points in the regular season and three in the playoffs.
The Devils face plenty of off-season questions during the next two summers, but aside from the possible departure of Bryce Salvador, their defense is more or less spoken for. Fayne has a great chance to stick around, even if his injury sidelines him for a while.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 0
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 87
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 98
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 7
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (98)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (98)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (89)