Jun 25, 2012, 2:02 PM EDT
As per James Mirtle of the Globe and Mail, the deadline to buy players out of their contracts is Saturday.
We haven’t heard much in the way of potential buyouts. The upcoming CBA negotiations may be making teams wary of pulling the trigger, with speculation that an NBA-like amnesty clause could be part of a new agreement.
Scott Gomez is probably the first name that comes to mind. The Canadiens’ forward has two years left on his contract with an annual cap hit of $7,357,143.
Gomez, 32, is coming off another nightmare season – in 38 games, he scored just two goals and nine assists.
However, if the Habs were to buy him out, they wouldn’t get him off the books for another four seasons. According to CapGeek.com, his cap hit would be $3,523,810 next season, $4,523,810 the next, and $1,666,667 the final two.
Montreal would also still have to pay Gomez $6.7 million of the $10 million in salary owing, for a savings of just $3.3 million. Besides, Gomez’s roster spot would have to be filled with someone, and that someone wouldn’t be playing for free.
The Habs have plenty of cap space, but in the unlikely event they need to free more up, they might be better served sending Gomez to the AHL, assuming the new CBA allows such a move.
Of those 10, Gomez, Komisarek and Kaberle are the only legitimate candidates, and even then it’s unlikely.
If there are buyouts prior to Saturday, chances are they’ll be minor ones.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (75)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)