Jun 25, 2012, 2:02 PM EST
As per James Mirtle of the Globe and Mail, the deadline to buy players out of their contracts is Saturday.
We haven’t heard much in the way of potential buyouts. The upcoming CBA negotiations may be making teams wary of pulling the trigger, with speculation that an NBA-like amnesty clause could be part of a new agreement.
Scott Gomez is probably the first name that comes to mind. The Canadiens’ forward has two years left on his contract with an annual cap hit of $7,357,143.
Gomez, 32, is coming off another nightmare season – in 38 games, he scored just two goals and nine assists.
However, if the Habs were to buy him out, they wouldn’t get him off the books for another four seasons. According to CapGeek.com, his cap hit would be $3,523,810 next season, $4,523,810 the next, and $1,666,667 the final two.
Montreal would also still have to pay Gomez $6.7 million of the $10 million in salary owing, for a savings of just $3.3 million. Besides, Gomez’s roster spot would have to be filled with someone, and that someone wouldn’t be playing for free.
The Habs have plenty of cap space, but in the unlikely event they need to free more up, they might be better served sending Gomez to the AHL, assuming the new CBA allows such a move.
Of those 10, Gomez, Komisarek and Kaberle are the only legitimate candidates, and even then it’s unlikely.
If there are buyouts prior to Saturday, chances are they’ll be minor ones.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 92
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 92
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 103
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (124)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (105)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (105)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (94)