Jun 25, 2012, 2:02 PM EDT
As per James Mirtle of the Globe and Mail, the deadline to buy players out of their contracts is Saturday.
We haven’t heard much in the way of potential buyouts. The upcoming CBA negotiations may be making teams wary of pulling the trigger, with speculation that an NBA-like amnesty clause could be part of a new agreement.
Scott Gomez is probably the first name that comes to mind. The Canadiens’ forward has two years left on his contract with an annual cap hit of $7,357,143.
Gomez, 32, is coming off another nightmare season – in 38 games, he scored just two goals and nine assists.
However, if the Habs were to buy him out, they wouldn’t get him off the books for another four seasons. According to CapGeek.com, his cap hit would be $3,523,810 next season, $4,523,810 the next, and $1,666,667 the final two.
Montreal would also still have to pay Gomez $6.7 million of the $10 million in salary owing, for a savings of just $3.3 million. Besides, Gomez’s roster spot would have to be filled with someone, and that someone wouldn’t be playing for free.
The Habs have plenty of cap space, but in the unlikely event they need to free more up, they might be better served sending Gomez to the AHL, assuming the new CBA allows such a move.
Of those 10, Gomez, Komisarek and Kaberle are the only legitimate candidates, and even then it’s unlikely.
If there are buyouts prior to Saturday, chances are they’ll be minor ones.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)