Jun 25, 2012, 12:15 PM EST
The player responsible for one of the most infamous moments in Canucks history is leaving the organization.
Epp said he wasn’t surprised the Canucks showed no interest in bringing back his client, who fell out of the rotation last year despite putting up career highs in goals, assists and points. Rome appeared just once in Vancouver’s brief five-game playoff run and only appeared in 43 regular-season contests.
While Rome’s departure from Vancouver sounds imminent, it’s unlikely the city will ever forget him.
It was he who laid out Boston’s Nathan Horton in Game 3 of the 2011 Stanley Cup finals, setting off a chain reaction of events that reverberate to this day. Rome’s subsequent four-game suspension — quadruple the length of any suspension ever given in a Cup final — is a record that’s likely to stand for a long time.
The hit also turned the series on its head (Boston outscored Vancouver 21-4 following it) and set off a chain of head injury issues for Horton, who missed 36 games last year with a concussion.
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 12
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 8
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 34
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 48
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Harding’s diving save highlights Wild’s win 5
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (48)
- Video: Malkin, Penguins win wild, controversial one over Leafs (40)
- ‘It’s like Groundhog Day’: Schneider frustrated about backing up Brodeur (35)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (34)