Jun 25, 2012, 10:25 AM EDT
While the Maple Leafs are going to have their hands full in dealing with other situations this summer, another concern they have is working out new deals with restricted free agents. Case in point: Nikolai Kulemin.
Kulemin has been an important player to the Leafs’ success the past few seasons and the former 30-goal scorer will be looking for a little financial security this summer. The Toronto Sun says that may wind up being tricky.
Kulemin’s agent, Gary Greenstin, was somewhat cryptic in a recent interview, saying “we’ll see what happens” in talks with the Leafs, but emphasized that Kulemin wants to remain in Toronto.
Two years ago, the sides went long and hard at each other before hammering out a new deal.
Kulemin is coming off a two-year deal that paid him $4.7 million but is also coming off a 2011-2012 season that saw him pot just seven goals and 28 points, both career lows. That doesn’t do much to help negotiating leverage but one bad season likely won’t do much to deter his agent from looking to score big.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)