Jun 25, 2012, 10:25 AM EST
While the Maple Leafs are going to have their hands full in dealing with other situations this summer, another concern they have is working out new deals with restricted free agents. Case in point: Nikolai Kulemin.
Kulemin has been an important player to the Leafs’ success the past few seasons and the former 30-goal scorer will be looking for a little financial security this summer. The Toronto Sun says that may wind up being tricky.
Kulemin’s agent, Gary Greenstin, was somewhat cryptic in a recent interview, saying “we’ll see what happens” in talks with the Leafs, but emphasized that Kulemin wants to remain in Toronto.
Two years ago, the sides went long and hard at each other before hammering out a new deal.
Kulemin is coming off a two-year deal that paid him $4.7 million but is also coming off a 2011-2012 season that saw him pot just seven goals and 28 points, both career lows. That doesn’t do much to help negotiating leverage but one bad season likely won’t do much to deter his agent from looking to score big.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (155)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (121)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)