Jun 25, 2012, 11:58 AM EDT
Sounds like the last Tootoo train whistle has been blown at Bridgestone Arena.
Tootoo, 29, has spent his entire eight-year career in Nashville, emerging as one of the league’s most identifiable agitators. He should have more than a few suitors on the open market, especially given he posted career highs in assists (24) and points (30) last season.
Despite those numbers, there were questions about what role Tootoo played — and would play — in Nashville. He only made three postseason appearances and was one of the odd men out after the Preds made all their trade deadline splashes. GM David Poile openly recognized there was a difference of opinion about Tootoo’s role…as did Tootoo.
“When you get shut down and told you’re not playing, it [expletive] burns,” Tootoo told The Tennessean the day before Nashville beat Detroit in Game 5 of the Western Conference quarterfinals. “After doing everything right, it just [expletive]. … I’m [ticked] off because I’m not able to do what I love to do and that’s playing the game.”
Tootoo’s last deal was a two-year contract worth $1.25 million annually.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 19
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 42
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)