Jun 25, 2012, 11:58 AM EDT
Sounds like the last Tootoo train whistle has been blown at Bridgestone Arena.
Tootoo, 29, has spent his entire eight-year career in Nashville, emerging as one of the league’s most identifiable agitators. He should have more than a few suitors on the open market, especially given he posted career highs in assists (24) and points (30) last season.
Despite those numbers, there were questions about what role Tootoo played — and would play — in Nashville. He only made three postseason appearances and was one of the odd men out after the Preds made all their trade deadline splashes. GM David Poile openly recognized there was a difference of opinion about Tootoo’s role…as did Tootoo.
“When you get shut down and told you’re not playing, it [expletive] burns,” Tootoo told The Tennessean the day before Nashville beat Detroit in Game 5 of the Western Conference quarterfinals. “After doing everything right, it just [expletive]. … I’m [ticked] off because I’m not able to do what I love to do and that’s playing the game.”
Tootoo’s last deal was a two-year contract worth $1.25 million annually.
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 23
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 9
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 15
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 11
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)