Jun 25, 2012, 11:58 AM EDT
Sounds like the last Tootoo train whistle has been blown at Bridgestone Arena.
Tootoo, 29, has spent his entire eight-year career in Nashville, emerging as one of the league’s most identifiable agitators. He should have more than a few suitors on the open market, especially given he posted career highs in assists (24) and points (30) last season.
Despite those numbers, there were questions about what role Tootoo played — and would play — in Nashville. He only made three postseason appearances and was one of the odd men out after the Preds made all their trade deadline splashes. GM David Poile openly recognized there was a difference of opinion about Tootoo’s role…as did Tootoo.
“When you get shut down and told you’re not playing, it [expletive] burns,” Tootoo told The Tennessean the day before Nashville beat Detroit in Game 5 of the Western Conference quarterfinals. “After doing everything right, it just [expletive]. … I’m [ticked] off because I’m not able to do what I love to do and that’s playing the game.”
Tootoo’s last deal was a two-year contract worth $1.25 million annually.
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 1
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 8
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 31
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)