Jun 25, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
According to James Mirtle of The Globe and Mail, the NHL has released compensation rates for teams that sign restricted free agents via offer sheets.
Same rules apply as previous years — teams with players under contract get the opportunity to match, yadda yadda — so all that’s really changed is the compensatory pick total, which Mirtle describes as a “moving target” that increases yearly based on NHL average salary.
From The Globe:
Here are the draft pick compensation figures for the 2012-13 season:
$1,110,249 or below – No Compensation
Over $1,110,249 to $1,682,194 – 3rd round pick
Over $1,682,194 to $3,364,391 – 2nd round pick
Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585 – 1st round pick, 3rd
Over $5,046,585 to $6,728,781 – 1st round pick, 2nd, 3rd
Over $6,728,781 To $8,410,976 – Two 1st Round Picks, 2nd, 3rd
Over $8,410,976 – Four 1st Round Picks
Historically speaking, RFA offer sheets have been more alluring in theory than practice. Many GMs consider them dirty pool and only six have been signed since the lockout: Ryan Kesler (Philadelphia), Thomas Vanek (Edmonton), Dustin Penner (Edmonton), David Backes (Vancouver), Steve Bernier (St. Louis) and Niklas Hjalmarsson (San Jose).
Penner was the only one to actually sign with the offer-sheeting team, a move that caused great acrimony between then-Anaheim GM Brian Burke and Edmonton GM Kevin Lowe.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 117
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (117)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)