Jun 25, 2012, 1:00 PM EST
According to James Mirtle of The Globe and Mail, the NHL has released compensation rates for teams that sign restricted free agents via offer sheets.
Same rules apply as previous years — teams with players under contract get the opportunity to match, yadda yadda — so all that’s really changed is the compensatory pick total, which Mirtle describes as a “moving target” that increases yearly based on NHL average salary.
From The Globe:
Here are the draft pick compensation figures for the 2012-13 season:
$1,110,249 or below – No Compensation
Over $1,110,249 to $1,682,194 – 3rd round pick
Over $1,682,194 to $3,364,391 – 2nd round pick
Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585 – 1st round pick, 3rd
Over $5,046,585 to $6,728,781 – 1st round pick, 2nd, 3rd
Over $6,728,781 To $8,410,976 – Two 1st Round Picks, 2nd, 3rd
Over $8,410,976 – Four 1st Round Picks
Historically speaking, RFA offer sheets have been more alluring in theory than practice. Many GMs consider them dirty pool and only six have been signed since the lockout: Ryan Kesler (Philadelphia), Thomas Vanek (Edmonton), Dustin Penner (Edmonton), David Backes (Vancouver), Steve Bernier (St. Louis) and Niklas Hjalmarsson (San Jose).
Penner was the only one to actually sign with the offer-sheeting team, a move that caused great acrimony between then-Anaheim GM Brian Burke and Edmonton GM Kevin Lowe.
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 3
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 10
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 11
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 40
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 5
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 14
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)