Jun 25, 2012, 12:38 PM EST
Just when you think you’ve heard it all from the Columbus Blue Jackets, something else comes along.
Namely, the New York Islanders.
Today was no different, as Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch shares the story of how Islanders GM Garth Snow offered Jackets GM Scott Howson the Islander’s entire draft… to move up from No. 4 to No. 2:
That’s right, for the Jackets’ No. 2 pick, the Islanders offered pick Nos. 4, 34, 65, 103, 125, 155 and 185. The bounty would have given the Jackets the following picks: 4, 31, 34, 62, 65, 95, 103, 125, 152, 155, 182 and 185. And if that weren’t enough, the Jackets could have had the Kings’ No. 30 if they wanted it.
There hasn’t been a more insane draft strategy since Mike Ditka sent all of the New Orleans Saints draft picks to Washington to get Ricky Williams. (Also, first- and third-round picks the year following.)
If true — and some have their doubts — it leads to the big question: Who’s the crazier GM here? Snow, for making a Ditka-like move to get Murray? Or Howson, for turning down a boatload of picks? Columbus could certainly use a lot of help, but perhaps this is a case where quality wins over quantity.
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 7
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 7
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 19
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 34
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)