Jun 25, 2012, 12:38 PM EST
Just when you think you’ve heard it all from the Columbus Blue Jackets, something else comes along.
Namely, the New York Islanders.
Today was no different, as Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch shares the story of how Islanders GM Garth Snow offered Jackets GM Scott Howson the Islander’s entire draft… to move up from No. 4 to No. 2:
That’s right, for the Jackets’ No. 2 pick, the Islanders offered pick Nos. 4, 34, 65, 103, 125, 155 and 185. The bounty would have given the Jackets the following picks: 4, 31, 34, 62, 65, 95, 103, 125, 152, 155, 182 and 185. And if that weren’t enough, the Jackets could have had the Kings’ No. 30 if they wanted it.
There hasn’t been a more insane draft strategy since Mike Ditka sent all of the New Orleans Saints draft picks to Washington to get Ricky Williams. (Also, first- and third-round picks the year following.)
If true — and some have their doubts — it leads to the big question: Who’s the crazier GM here? Snow, for making a Ditka-like move to get Murray? Or Howson, for turning down a boatload of picks? Columbus could certainly use a lot of help, but perhaps this is a case where quality wins over quantity.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)