Jun 25, 2012, 12:38 PM EDT
Just when you think you’ve heard it all from the Columbus Blue Jackets, something else comes along.
Namely, the New York Islanders.
Today was no different, as Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch shares the story of how Islanders GM Garth Snow offered Jackets GM Scott Howson the Islander’s entire draft… to move up from No. 4 to No. 2:
That’s right, for the Jackets’ No. 2 pick, the Islanders offered pick Nos. 4, 34, 65, 103, 125, 155 and 185. The bounty would have given the Jackets the following picks: 4, 31, 34, 62, 65, 95, 103, 125, 152, 155, 182 and 185. And if that weren’t enough, the Jackets could have had the Kings’ No. 30 if they wanted it.
There hasn’t been a more insane draft strategy since Mike Ditka sent all of the New Orleans Saints draft picks to Washington to get Ricky Williams. (Also, first- and third-round picks the year following.)
If true — and some have their doubts — it leads to the big question: Who’s the crazier GM here? Snow, for making a Ditka-like move to get Murray? Or Howson, for turning down a boatload of picks? Columbus could certainly use a lot of help, but perhaps this is a case where quality wins over quantity.
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 41
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 17
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 16
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 36
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 96
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead