Jun 25, 2012, 12:38 PM EST
Just when you think you’ve heard it all from the Columbus Blue Jackets, something else comes along.
Namely, the New York Islanders.
Today was no different, as Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch shares the story of how Islanders GM Garth Snow offered Jackets GM Scott Howson the Islander’s entire draft… to move up from No. 4 to No. 2:
That’s right, for the Jackets’ No. 2 pick, the Islanders offered pick Nos. 4, 34, 65, 103, 125, 155 and 185. The bounty would have given the Jackets the following picks: 4, 31, 34, 62, 65, 95, 103, 125, 152, 155, 182 and 185. And if that weren’t enough, the Jackets could have had the Kings’ No. 30 if they wanted it.
There hasn’t been a more insane draft strategy since Mike Ditka sent all of the New Orleans Saints draft picks to Washington to get Ricky Williams. (Also, first- and third-round picks the year following.)
If true — and some have their doubts — it leads to the big question: Who’s the crazier GM here? Snow, for making a Ditka-like move to get Murray? Or Howson, for turning down a boatload of picks? Columbus could certainly use a lot of help, but perhaps this is a case where quality wins over quantity.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 56
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 17
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 34
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 51
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 67
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)