Jun 25, 2012, 8:15 AM EDT
James Mirtle of The Globe And Mail reports Burke isn’t too pleased with what the asking price is for the 33-year-old goalie and as a result feels like he can go with what he’s got in net already.
“From my perspective, the prices that are being asked have to be reasonable,” Burke said. “If you can get a goaltender who makes you better, and it costs you 15 first-round picks, would you do it? No.
“So somewhere between 15 first-round picks and something that makes sense, we’re not there yet. I’m not going to overpay to upgrade at that position. I’m not happy with what’s being asked. From my perspective, rather than strip your organization to fill one positional need, we’ll go with what we have.”
Canucks GM Mike Gillis has made it clear he’s not going to just give away Luongo, but he’s in a rough spot because Luongo’s essentially said he wants out. Burke says he’s cool with going with a tandem James Reimer and Ben Scrivens but that won’t do much to soothe Leafs fans in their hope of returning to the playoffs.
Burke will use the Leafs’ wealth of forwards to appease the Canucks eventually, just don’t expect it to happen right away.
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 10
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 6
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 31
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 56
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 85
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 11
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut