Jun 25, 2012, 6:40 PM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche are locking up players here and there – Matt Duchene and David Jones, in particular – but they still have a ton of free agent decisions to make. They can cross defenseman Ryan Wilson off that list, however, as the team announced a three-year extension for the 25-year-old blueliner. On the other hand, Adrian Dater reports that the team won’t hand Peter Mueller a qualifying offer, permitting the concussion-plagued talent to test unrestricted free agency.
Dater reports that Wilson’s three-year contract is worth $6.75 million overall, paying him a $2 million salary next season and $2.375 million in each of the two following seasons. The team signed lower-level players Patrick Bordeleau and David Van Der Gulik on Monday, too.
Declining to hand Mueller a qualifying offer allows him to be one of the more interesting gambles in a thin free agent market. Concussions obviously tag him with a huge red flag, no doubt; he missed all of the 2010-11 season with post-concussion syndrome and was limited to just 32 games last season. He didn’t light up the hockey world in those 32 games, either, averaging exactly a point every other game with 16 (seven goals and nine assists).
That being said, there are plenty of reasons to give the guy a shot – especially if his concussion issues allow a team to limit their risks with a lower money offer.
He exploded onto the scene with Colorado after being traded from Phoenix in 2009-10 scoring nine goals and 20 points in 15 contests. He also has the pedigree that comes with being the eighth overall pick of the 2006 NHL Draft, boasts solid size, a right-handed shot and is still only 24.
Sure, there are questions beyond health – his foot speed isn’t exactly at a world class level – but if the price is right, some other team would be wise to roll the dice. Would he work for your team?
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)