Jun 25, 2012, 6:40 PM EST
The Colorado Avalanche are locking up players here and there – Matt Duchene and David Jones, in particular – but they still have a ton of free agent decisions to make. They can cross defenseman Ryan Wilson off that list, however, as the team announced a three-year extension for the 25-year-old blueliner. On the other hand, Adrian Dater reports that the team won’t hand Peter Mueller a qualifying offer, permitting the concussion-plagued talent to test unrestricted free agency.
Dater reports that Wilson’s three-year contract is worth $6.75 million overall, paying him a $2 million salary next season and $2.375 million in each of the two following seasons. The team signed lower-level players Patrick Bordeleau and David Van Der Gulik on Monday, too.
Declining to hand Mueller a qualifying offer allows him to be one of the more interesting gambles in a thin free agent market. Concussions obviously tag him with a huge red flag, no doubt; he missed all of the 2010-11 season with post-concussion syndrome and was limited to just 32 games last season. He didn’t light up the hockey world in those 32 games, either, averaging exactly a point every other game with 16 (seven goals and nine assists).
That being said, there are plenty of reasons to give the guy a shot – especially if his concussion issues allow a team to limit their risks with a lower money offer.
He exploded onto the scene with Colorado after being traded from Phoenix in 2009-10 scoring nine goals and 20 points in 15 contests. He also has the pedigree that comes with being the eighth overall pick of the 2006 NHL Draft, boasts solid size, a right-handed shot and is still only 24.
Sure, there are questions beyond health – his foot speed isn’t exactly at a world class level – but if the price is right, some other team would be wise to roll the dice. Would he work for your team?
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 24
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)