Jun 24, 2012, 11:59 AM EDT
New Dallas Stars owner Tom Gaglardi is heading into his first summer of free agency. While the team is in a bit of transition, especially after dealing Mike Ribeiro to Washington, he tells Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News they’ll be in on plenty of free agents starting July 1.
“We’re definitely adjusting, so we don’t have a budget yet, but we’re prepared to be in there on any player,” Gaglardi said. “We want to be smart, and we want to build the team for the long-term, to be a long-term winner, but we also know that we have free agency and we have trades, and we have to be prepared to use both of them to get better. There’s a reason for free agency, and it can help you get better without giving up assets.”
The Stars have had to be quiet the last few summers thanks to their ownership situation being up in the air. Now with Gaglardi in place, normalcy can come back to Dallas.
Don’t expect rampant free-wheeling, however, as Gaglardi isn’t expected to be at all like former owner Tom Hicks. Dallas would ideally like to get in on the hunt for Ryan Suter, but going up against the likes of Detroit, Pittsburgh, and others they’ll have stiff competition.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 33
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 47
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)