Jun 24, 2012, 11:59 AM EDT
New Dallas Stars owner Tom Gaglardi is heading into his first summer of free agency. While the team is in a bit of transition, especially after dealing Mike Ribeiro to Washington, he tells Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News they’ll be in on plenty of free agents starting July 1.
“We’re definitely adjusting, so we don’t have a budget yet, but we’re prepared to be in there on any player,” Gaglardi said. “We want to be smart, and we want to build the team for the long-term, to be a long-term winner, but we also know that we have free agency and we have trades, and we have to be prepared to use both of them to get better. There’s a reason for free agency, and it can help you get better without giving up assets.”
The Stars have had to be quiet the last few summers thanks to their ownership situation being up in the air. Now with Gaglardi in place, normalcy can come back to Dallas.
Don’t expect rampant free-wheeling, however, as Gaglardi isn’t expected to be at all like former owner Tom Hicks. Dallas would ideally like to get in on the hunt for Ryan Suter, but going up against the likes of Detroit, Pittsburgh, and others they’ll have stiff competition.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)