Jun 24, 2012, 11:59 AM EDT
New Dallas Stars owner Tom Gaglardi is heading into his first summer of free agency. While the team is in a bit of transition, especially after dealing Mike Ribeiro to Washington, he tells Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News they’ll be in on plenty of free agents starting July 1.
“We’re definitely adjusting, so we don’t have a budget yet, but we’re prepared to be in there on any player,” Gaglardi said. “We want to be smart, and we want to build the team for the long-term, to be a long-term winner, but we also know that we have free agency and we have trades, and we have to be prepared to use both of them to get better. There’s a reason for free agency, and it can help you get better without giving up assets.”
The Stars have had to be quiet the last few summers thanks to their ownership situation being up in the air. Now with Gaglardi in place, normalcy can come back to Dallas.
Don’t expect rampant free-wheeling, however, as Gaglardi isn’t expected to be at all like former owner Tom Hicks. Dallas would ideally like to get in on the hunt for Ryan Suter, but going up against the likes of Detroit, Pittsburgh, and others they’ll have stiff competition.
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 0
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 11
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 10
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 52
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 65
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 26
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 46
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (82)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)