Jun 24, 2012, 11:59 AM EST
New Dallas Stars owner Tom Gaglardi is heading into his first summer of free agency. While the team is in a bit of transition, especially after dealing Mike Ribeiro to Washington, he tells Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News they’ll be in on plenty of free agents starting July 1.
“We’re definitely adjusting, so we don’t have a budget yet, but we’re prepared to be in there on any player,” Gaglardi said. “We want to be smart, and we want to build the team for the long-term, to be a long-term winner, but we also know that we have free agency and we have trades, and we have to be prepared to use both of them to get better. There’s a reason for free agency, and it can help you get better without giving up assets.”
The Stars have had to be quiet the last few summers thanks to their ownership situation being up in the air. Now with Gaglardi in place, normalcy can come back to Dallas.
Don’t expect rampant free-wheeling, however, as Gaglardi isn’t expected to be at all like former owner Tom Hicks. Dallas would ideally like to get in on the hunt for Ryan Suter, but going up against the likes of Detroit, Pittsburgh, and others they’ll have stiff competition.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 13
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 29
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 63
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)