Jun 24, 2012, 12:10 PM EDT
The Columbus Dispatch is reporting that Ottawa is not one of the destinations listed on Rick Nash’s preferred list. He could still change the list and approve a trade there, but it’s not clear if he’ll do just that.
Moving to Ottawa would give Nash an opportunity to play alongside Jason Spezza and be part of a young team that’s moved along nicely in their rebuilding efforts. At the same time, Nash might be tired of being part of a rebuild and want to go to a team that’s capable of winning the Stanley Cup next season.
The question is if there’s a potential Stanley Cup contender out there that’s willing to even come close to meeting the Columbus Blue Jackets’ high demands. The Philadelphia Flyers might have abandoned the possibility of going after Nash when they traded James van Riemsdyk to Toronto. Columbus was reportedly counting on van Riemsdyk to be part of a potential Nash deal.
Columbus will probably wait until after July 1 to trade Nash in the hopes that teams will be willing to offer more for him after Zach Parise has a contract.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)