Jun 24, 2012, 12:10 PM EDT
The Columbus Dispatch is reporting that Ottawa is not one of the destinations listed on Rick Nash’s preferred list. He could still change the list and approve a trade there, but it’s not clear if he’ll do just that.
Moving to Ottawa would give Nash an opportunity to play alongside Jason Spezza and be part of a young team that’s moved along nicely in their rebuilding efforts. At the same time, Nash might be tired of being part of a rebuild and want to go to a team that’s capable of winning the Stanley Cup next season.
The question is if there’s a potential Stanley Cup contender out there that’s willing to even come close to meeting the Columbus Blue Jackets’ high demands. The Philadelphia Flyers might have abandoned the possibility of going after Nash when they traded James van Riemsdyk to Toronto. Columbus was reportedly counting on van Riemsdyk to be part of a potential Nash deal.
Columbus will probably wait until after July 1 to trade Nash in the hopes that teams will be willing to offer more for him after Zach Parise has a contract.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 68
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 32
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 22
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)