Jun 24, 2012, 1:51 PM EST
Tim Thomas might have made his last start and it looks like the Boston Bruins are getting ready for the Tuukka Rask era. According to the Boston Globe, the Bruins and Rask are interested in getting a long-term deal inked before July 1.
If the two sides aren’t able to meet that deadline, then Rask will become a restricted free agent. On July 5, he’ll be able to file for salary arbitration and the Boston Bruins will have the same option available to them the following day.
Ultimately, it’s hard to envision a scenario where Rask doesn’t end up signing with Boston. The question at this point is if the two sides will be able to agree to a long-term extension or if they’ll have to settle for a one or two-year deal.
Rask’s old contract came with a $1.25 million cap hit and the Boston Globe expects him to cost at least $2.5 million annually in his new deal. Personally, I think it could end up being significantly higher than that if he agrees to a contract in excess of four years.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 92
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 92
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 103
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (124)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (105)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (105)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (94)