Jun 24, 2012, 1:51 PM EDT
Tim Thomas might have made his last start and it looks like the Boston Bruins are getting ready for the Tuukka Rask era. According to the Boston Globe, the Bruins and Rask are interested in getting a long-term deal inked before July 1.
If the two sides aren’t able to meet that deadline, then Rask will become a restricted free agent. On July 5, he’ll be able to file for salary arbitration and the Boston Bruins will have the same option available to them the following day.
Ultimately, it’s hard to envision a scenario where Rask doesn’t end up signing with Boston. The question at this point is if the two sides will be able to agree to a long-term extension or if they’ll have to settle for a one or two-year deal.
Rask’s old contract came with a $1.25 million cap hit and the Boston Globe expects him to cost at least $2.5 million annually in his new deal. Personally, I think it could end up being significantly higher than that if he agrees to a contract in excess of four years.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)