Jun 24, 2012, 11:14 AM EDT
Penguins GM Ray Shero was able to make Friday night of the NHL Draft a memorable one for Penguins fans, but according to Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, he wants to make this summer one to never forget.
Team sources said Sidney Crosby soon will sign a new contract in the range of 10 to 13 years with an average annual salary of between $9 million and $10 million and will try to recruit Parise, his longtime friend, and Suter.
Signing the two biggest free agents on the market to go along with locking up the team captain for the foreseeable future would make for perhaps the best summer in Pittsburgh since they hit the Crosby lottery.
Signing Crosby to a long-term contract seems like a no-brainer, but landing Suter and Parise is the type of thing you only accomplish on video games. Rossi notes Crosby and Parise are good friends and that Pittsburgh’s wealth of stars could help Suter fit in as there won’t be much attention paid to him through all that.
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 0
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 69
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 63
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)