Jun 24, 2012, 11:14 AM EDT
Penguins GM Ray Shero was able to make Friday night of the NHL Draft a memorable one for Penguins fans, but according to Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, he wants to make this summer one to never forget.
Team sources said Sidney Crosby soon will sign a new contract in the range of 10 to 13 years with an average annual salary of between $9 million and $10 million and will try to recruit Parise, his longtime friend, and Suter.
Signing the two biggest free agents on the market to go along with locking up the team captain for the foreseeable future would make for perhaps the best summer in Pittsburgh since they hit the Crosby lottery.
Signing Crosby to a long-term contract seems like a no-brainer, but landing Suter and Parise is the type of thing you only accomplish on video games. Rossi notes Crosby and Parise are good friends and that Pittsburgh’s wealth of stars could help Suter fit in as there won’t be much attention paid to him through all that.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 9
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 21
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 12
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)