Jun 24, 2012, 10:39 AM EDT
You may not know much about Edmonton third-round pick Danil Zharkov, but he wants you to know he thinks he can be better than his potential future teammate and No. 1 overall pick Nail Yakupov.
Zharkov tells Joanne Ireland of the Edmonton Journal he believes he’s got the talent to be the better of the two Russians Edmonton selected in this year’s draft.
“It’s my goal to be better than Yak. It doesn’t matter if he’s my friend or not,” said the winger after he had been drafted by the club in the third round (91st overall). The Oilers had selected Yakupov with the first pick less than 24 hours earlier.
Well if he’s that good, how is it he wound up going that late? Easy. Zharkov says teams avoided him because he’s Russian.
“In my opinion, I dropped down this year. I think because I’m Russian; the NHL teams are really scared I will go to the KHL, but I’m not going to do that,” he said. “I’m going to try and make the team.
“If not, I’ll go back to Belleville.”
Give the kid this, at least he’s confident in himself but there may be something to what he’s saying. Zharkov was ranked as the No. 32 skater in North America by Central Scouting. Falling all the way to 91st overall means something was up with what teams saw in him. Zharkov’s late season scoring drought likely didn’t help much.
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 18
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 23
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 25
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 12
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 82
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 26
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 58
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 89
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (89)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2