Jun 24, 2012, 9:59 AM EDT
When the Islanders acquired Lubomir Visnovsky during the first round of the NHL Draft, it was seen as a solid pick-up for the team. He’s got a great offensive game from the blue line and is a hard worker.
Of course, things with the Islanders are never quite that easy. Thanks to an interview with Visnovsky on Slovak site HokejPortal.net, we find out the Islanders aren’t the only team that want him to play on their team next season. (Crude Google translation ahead)
In early May, you said that you expect in the NHL last season. Still this is true?
“Still, but I can say that I get a bid from Russia and I think about them. He and his wife have already talked about the fact that in New York can not not go and I’ll take any offer from the KHL, and because I have such opportunities. We’ll see where I end. KHL has signed a contract for some of the NHL and Europe is the only league where I could play in the NHL despite the contract. “
An interesting approach. Can you give a percentage, where you play next season?
“While I do not know it really well so I think in the head. NHL is certainly paramount, but we need to discuss this at home. But as I said, the KHL is a possibility. “
Visnovsky says he knows the Islanders would be disappointed but recognizes that it’s a business and not personal. It’s a cold way to look at things, but the Islanders’ hopes of seeing Visnovsky skating at the Coliseum next year have taken a hit.
Update (11:27 a.m. ET): Arthur Staple of Newsday clears things up via Twitter after speaking with Visnovsky. Visnovsky says the interview on the Slovak site was from before the trade and his first choice is to come and play for the Islanders. Potential crisis averted.
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 8
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 6
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 27
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 44
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 20