Jun 24, 2012, 9:59 AM EDT
When the Islanders acquired Lubomir Visnovsky during the first round of the NHL Draft, it was seen as a solid pick-up for the team. He’s got a great offensive game from the blue line and is a hard worker.
Of course, things with the Islanders are never quite that easy. Thanks to an interview with Visnovsky on Slovak site HokejPortal.net, we find out the Islanders aren’t the only team that want him to play on their team next season. (Crude Google translation ahead)
In early May, you said that you expect in the NHL last season. Still this is true?
“Still, but I can say that I get a bid from Russia and I think about them. He and his wife have already talked about the fact that in New York can not not go and I’ll take any offer from the KHL, and because I have such opportunities. We’ll see where I end. KHL has signed a contract for some of the NHL and Europe is the only league where I could play in the NHL despite the contract. “
An interesting approach. Can you give a percentage, where you play next season?
“While I do not know it really well so I think in the head. NHL is certainly paramount, but we need to discuss this at home. But as I said, the KHL is a possibility. “
Visnovsky says he knows the Islanders would be disappointed but recognizes that it’s a business and not personal. It’s a cold way to look at things, but the Islanders’ hopes of seeing Visnovsky skating at the Coliseum next year have taken a hit.
Update (11:27 a.m. ET): Arthur Staple of Newsday clears things up via Twitter after speaking with Visnovsky. Visnovsky says the interview on the Slovak site was from before the trade and his first choice is to come and play for the Islanders. Potential crisis averted.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)