Jun 24, 2012, 9:59 AM EST
When the Islanders acquired Lubomir Visnovsky during the first round of the NHL Draft, it was seen as a solid pick-up for the team. He’s got a great offensive game from the blue line and is a hard worker.
Of course, things with the Islanders are never quite that easy. Thanks to an interview with Visnovsky on Slovak site HokejPortal.net, we find out the Islanders aren’t the only team that want him to play on their team next season. (Crude Google translation ahead)
In early May, you said that you expect in the NHL last season. Still this is true?
“Still, but I can say that I get a bid from Russia and I think about them. He and his wife have already talked about the fact that in New York can not not go and I’ll take any offer from the KHL, and because I have such opportunities. We’ll see where I end. KHL has signed a contract for some of the NHL and Europe is the only league where I could play in the NHL despite the contract. “
An interesting approach. Can you give a percentage, where you play next season?
“While I do not know it really well so I think in the head. NHL is certainly paramount, but we need to discuss this at home. But as I said, the KHL is a possibility. “
Visnovsky says he knows the Islanders would be disappointed but recognizes that it’s a business and not personal. It’s a cold way to look at things, but the Islanders’ hopes of seeing Visnovsky skating at the Coliseum next year have taken a hit.
Update (11:27 a.m. ET): Arthur Staple of Newsday clears things up via Twitter after speaking with Visnovsky. Visnovsky says the interview on the Slovak site was from before the trade and his first choice is to come and play for the Islanders. Potential crisis averted.
- End nearing? Lightning waive Nabokov 0
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 21
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 10
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 16
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 13
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 10
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8