Jun 24, 2012, 2:45 PM EST
For a while now it’s looked like Justin Schultz was probably going to become an unrestricted free agent. At this point, it would be a shock if he decided to avoid the open market.
The Anaheim Ducks 2008 second-round draft pick has excelled with the University of Wisconsin and could make an immediate impact in the NHL.
Anaheim had an exclusive 30-day window to get something done, but as the Orange County Register points out, that period ends Sunday.
“I met quietly with their people [Thursday] night and it’s not going anywhere,” Ducks GM Bob Murray said. “Justin’s made up his mind on what he’s doing.”
All the same, Murray insisted that he would make one last attempt to get Schultz to agree to an entry-level contract.
If that doesn’t work, Schultz will be able to negotiate with any team on Monday, although he won’t be allowed to ink a contract until July 1.
The Hockey News is reporting that Schultz and his agent plan to meet on Tuesday to determine their next move.
“This one is going to be just as big as the (Zach) Parise and (Ryan) Suter,” an NHL executive said, “because of the economics of it.”
Schultz will be limited to signing an entry-level contract, so money isn’t expected to be a factor in his decision.
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 14
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 28
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 5
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ 67
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 64
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 32
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 7
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 21
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 54
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 53
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)